Search the forum,

Discuss Introduction from new member in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

As recommended by the welcome email, hello all, my name is James Pirie and I am not a plumber but a keen DIY enthusiast mostly due to the severe lack of plumbers available in our area of the North West of Sutherland in Scotland.
I have done some pipework, tap replacements and fixed some leaking fittings in the central heating system so all relatively simple stuff and mostly replacing what a plumber has already planned and fitted.
My day job is in the NHS and I am a detached home owner in the teeth of the prevailing South Westerly winds so keeping the heating going is of prime importance :)
I spend my liesure time maintaining and riding two elderly motorcycles and playing some guitar.
Hope to get some helpful advice on this forum even to the point of "Don't do it" :)

All the best from the far North

James

Hello and welcome

Welcome to the forum It is always nice to have new members! Been having some pretty heavy rain and wind here! Have you done any tinkering over the christmas period?

Welcome to the forum It is always nice to have new members! Been having some pretty heavy rain and wind here! Have you done any tinkering over the christmas period?
Thanks for the reply.
Tinkering over Christmas = water dripping through bedroom. Ceiling at 2030 hrs on Christmas eve and loss of pressure in the central heating system.
Spent the next five hours crawling in and out of roof trusses in the upstairs eaves to hopefully find a repairable leak.
As luck would have it not only did I locate the problem but I had the materials and skills to fix it.
Turned out to be a bit of poor plumbing from the original fix, some twenty years or so ago, where the plumber had managed to, somehow, damage one of the pipes. This would have been expanding and contracting over the years and finally became pourous. It had clearly been dripping away for a long time!
It was plastic pipe with metal fittings so not compatable with my bits and pieces of JG Speedfit pipe and couplings but I spliced in a new piece of pipe and borrowed a 15mm olive from a very surprised neighbour 😃
I had some fernox 4 from a previous job and, while I had the system drained, fitted a new zone valve which had been a job hanging around to be done for a long time.
All went well and I got to bed at 0200 hrs on Christmas day.
The stocking was already full as were my brownie points 😛🎉
J

Thanks for the reply.
Tinkering over Christmas = water dripping through bedroom. Ceiling at 2030 hrs on Christmas eve and loss of pressure in the central heating system.
Spent the next five hours crawling in and out of roof trusses in the upstairs eaves to hopefully find a repairable leak.
As luck would have it not only did I locate the problem but I had the materials and skills to fix it.
Turned out to be a bit of poor plumbing from the original fix, some twenty years or so ago, where the plumber had managed to, somehow, damage one of the pipes. This would have been expanding and contracting over the years and finally became pourous. It had clearly been dripping away for a long time!
It was plastic pipe with metal fittings so not compatable with my bits and pieces of JG Speedfit pipe and couplings but I spliced in a new piece of pipe and borrowed a 15mm olive from a very surprised neighbour 😃
I had some fernox 4 from a previous job and, while I had the system drained, fitted a new zone valve which had been a job hanging around to be done for a long time.
All went well and I got to bed at 0200 hrs on Christmas day.
The stocking was already full as were my brownie points 😛🎉
J
Oh Gosh things always happen at the worst possible time!! Sounds like you had things under control :)

Reply to Introduction from new member in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock