Search the forum,

Discuss Is it just me? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have to say i do think some of the fun and jokes that us plumbers love to crack all day long are making me cringe a little:

- Often there can be up to 20 off topic jokes firing back and forth off a new poster. It isn't surprising that the OP does not reply back often looking at the jokes - often at their expense too . . . .

- I do think that we need to keep the advise more professional - cause at the moment its like inviting the poor sod's into our pub at the end of the day the way everyone carries on!

- Some of the comments are rude considering you have someone who has only just joined the site to get advise - I think we need to treat them with a little bit more respect!

I do love this forum - I do not want it to become either elitist or completely conceited either . .. .

Fun is fun after all but maybe it should be contained to other parts of the forum

Is it fun though when it degenerates into what it has of late?

Just my two-penneth worth!

I have say when I started out back in the day I joined a (unnamed) plumbers forum, where they pretty much cracked jokes all day long and at the new joiners expense . . . .

It actually got quite nasty as these conceited lot annoyed a LOT of people and the forum became a host for a huge war of words!

Its not like this yet but it is going in that direction!

It starts out by just being a bit un-reverant but then escalates . . .

I preferred it when we stuck to giving out honest to goodness advise (which seems to be diminishing of late!)

I have said in previous posts and try to stick to it, if you don't like a poster or the post then don't reply its quite simple.

I do agree though.

Maybe you should close the threads as soon as the original question is answered!

Within the first page or two of replies ideally . . .

Even then many people will have been 'bantered to death' . . . .

Having said that if posts were regularly closed it should discourage the bather.

Maybe if a thread starts getting a lot of banter it could be split and the banter moved to the arms?

A straight forward question and answer forum would be in my opinion be the most boring forum on the planet. It won't attract new long term members, who on the whole are very knowledgable. Members would dwindle and all the knowledge migrated to a more interesting forum or will take up knitting .

I do agree but Take a look at screwfix forum (I have stumbled across it occasionally) and it is proper rude.

This is quite tame compared but can be quite stressful at times.

I don't use the SF forum for that very reason . . .

All they do is insult each other and those who post asking for advise all day long.

They are extremely elitist and 'haze' new guys who come on there

Its really quite nasty!

A victory for the Uk Plumbers Forum - horray!

I think originally this was a more sensible question and answer forum - which grew in popularity because of it . . .

I don't think it has to be strict at all but if you posted a respectful question would you be annoyed if you received 20 (and the rest!) posts of unhelpful, disrespectful and outright rude comments?

Some of the poor 'gets' posting on here don't even get an answer at all in amongst the messing around that goes on . . ..

People coming here for advise will vote with their feet (and no doubt are already!)and not bother coming back again.

The forum has an open section where all and sundry can ask questions about plumbing - which they wont bother if all they get when dareing to post is 50+ lippy gits all mouthing off together!!!

Don't get me wrong I like banter as much as the next man, but things have got out of hand . . .

you raise a good point mate. the occaisional gentle reminder to keep threads on topic and put banter in seperate threads would not be a bad thing. however much of the funnier content comes when members start 'riffing' and digressing from the original theme.

some kind of compromise is probably in order. perhaps a bit more order is called for if the op is a layperson visitor. but its open season if croppie or zeb start a thread :38:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it just me? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock