Search the forum,

Discuss Is it possible to get an exact co2 reading in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikewt

Gas Engineer
Hi

Just come away from a 22 year old Boulter oil boiler.
Carried out a service, the exchange and baffles were in quite a state. Cleaned it all up, then the burner, changed the burner nossel ect.
Pump pressure was at 8.5 bar and air setting was 3, MI's state 8 bar and 5.1 air set. Done a smoke test before any adjustments - 0 , but the co2% was at 7 where it should be 12.
So i set all the settings to MIs and that's when the poo hit the fan and it smoked and ran really bad.
Increase the air so no smoke but 9% is the highest it'll go before it goes right out.
Is it possible to get the right reading?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I trained for my oil 15 we had an old boy on the firm who would always leave the older boilers as they were found, bit like trying to bring a 25 year old piano up to concert pitch.....

I remember them saying that when i done the burner training that some boilers just cant adjust but here's what's confusing me. Theres an analyser reading 18 months ago from another plumber which has every reading exactly bang on.
I just don't get it. Double checked the baffles aswell and they're all good.

could have the previous chap have just put what the readings were supposed to be not the actual readings?

had a similar problem with a warmflow, the seal on the service hatch was knackered and was letting in a lot of clean air

And don't set it to 12, otherwise you will be back to de soot it.

And on old boilers the settings in the books are a bit pointless.

Be careful where you take the analyser readings. I had one where the reading taken from an original drilled test point in a twin wall flue was confusing me. I drilled a new test point in the single skinned vitreous enamel start off flue section and my guess proved correct as the reading was different.
Some old badly designed burners cannot be set much above 8 or 9% CO2, with a smoke number having to also remain high, but getting rarer nowadays. Some just need patience to fine tune them (nozzle assembly, adjustable flame ring diffuser, etc). They often came from factory without being set up, or clueless service engineers set them wrong.
Do replace your brand new nozzle if you think it could be faulty. Does happen occasionally that you get a faulty nozzle, or easily damaged.
If the previous service person only did their own hand written/typed analyser readings, then it could be nonsense. Some I came across with conventional vertical flues, had no test points but yet the previous engineer had given an analyser set of readings somehow and also amazingly perfect exact to the specs readings.

Last edited:
And don't set it to 12, otherwise you will be back to de soot it.

And on old boilers the settings in the books are a bit pointless.

yea spot on, ive had a few where you pretty much have to close the air shutter completely to get the right CO2 and then the thing starts chugging and sooting.
with these I found there is a "flat spot" (thats the only way I can describe it) where the reading doesnt really change as you change the air setting, I usually listen to the burner in that setting area and leave it where it sounds good.. sorry, not very scientific but works.

Thanks for all this advice. I'll go back to it tomorrow and increase the air slightly to bring the co2 down and bring it away from the point where it goes over. I'll change the nossle aswell just to be sure.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it possible to get an exact co2 reading in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 12 days ago attended a boiler lock out. Apparently another plumber was there a week before to and adjusted the photo cell. .. It is a grant wall 16/21 about 10yrs old. The ones where there is no room to move ...! Doesn't look like serviced much. Opened up and heavily sooted. Bottom baffle...
Replies
Views
Dear All, I hope you might be able to point me in the right direction with an issue I have with a 3 year old Greenstar 30i boiler, last serviced in Oct ‘22, with new pipe work all around the house at time of boiler install. We have separate circuits upstairs and down and a water cylinder. At...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Got called out this morning to a lock out boiler. . Myson Valerie 50/70 At first look it sounded like motor stuck. I checked fan moving freely, pump a little resistance but seemed ok. When fan removed it started slow but ok. my thoughts were capacitor. original one was 3UF. I had an old 3uf and...
Replies
Views
We have a Firebird oil boiler, 35kw and have recently started getting issues regarding condensate or lack of it. Long story as short as possible. Boiler running without any issues for 2 plus years, unusual smell from it turns out to be plastic condensate trap melted. Looked into problem and it's...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock