Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Is Public Liability compulsory for Gas safe registered engineers? in the Insurance for Plumbers area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leekid

Leekid Guest

Hello all,

I thought I'd ask the question as I'm a bit confused and getting conflicting information about this...

I know that it would be advisable to have it (which i will) but I just wanted to see if anyone could clarify it as I went on my gas reassessment exam yesterday and one assesor said it IS compulsary... where another assessor said it wasn't, and out of the 6 lads on the course, their opinion was split down the middle too.. I called Gas Safe today but I think I must have been speaking to the cleaner as he didn't know?!?!
    I should have phoned HSE rather than gas safe.. but I know they would have just told me to get it anyway...

also, while I have your attention :)

has anyone any information or advice or companies they would recommend to me.

Thanks for your time, and I hope someone can put my curious mind to rest (no seriously, I wont sleep now i've got summat rattling round in my head)

Ta!

2. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR

As i understand it if you are going to be self employed you need a min of 2 mil cover, if you are going to be employed then you are coverd on employers insurance, Try calling Boiler manuf ask about service engineers jobs.

3. REDSAW

REDSAW Guest

no, it is not compulsory but gsr ask you if you have it and advisable to do so.
    go on the compare websites (same as the car ones) then you can get an idea of costs.

4. AWheating

AWheating Trusted Plumber GSR

goto work alot of years to pay off buring somebodys house down. you could always invent a tool box that fits a zimmer frame tho :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roger Welton

Roger Welton Plumber GSR

To do the job without cover would be very foolish IMHO

6. PlumbBobBob

PlumbBobBob Guest

:iagree:

7. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

So PLI is not compulsory with GSR, but the first thing an OFTEC inspector asks for is your PLI certificate. Weird. So us smelly oil engineers must be more likely to burn your house down. :)

8. PowerFlusher2

PowerFlusher2 Active Member

Much, much sillier even than decanting petrol in a kitchen with the gas cooker on, not having PLI when dealing with anybody else's property!

Not working any more but I've STILL got GBP2.5million PLI on my house, me, my wife, my two basset hounds. Read only yesterday about a hairdresser who got a finger nipped by a dog when she was pushing (her own) advertising leaflets through a letterbox - you don't need a licence to trespass on somebody's property and get damaged (just like a burglar, could) shoving your hand into somebody's house without being invited, so she was acting legally. She got a no win, no fee lawyer who got her GBP1,500.00p compensation from the householder. A week later her no win, no fee lawyer hit the householder with a GBP17,500.00p bill for his services getting his client the compensation. PLI, these days, is vital.

PS - only way to avoid such problems is to lock the gate and put a post delivery box on it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  9. Destroyer2813

Destroyer2813 Plumber GSR

Or more likley to cause a massive clean up bill if your oil tank fails and spills gallons of oil into a stream or drain

10. philip.jones588

philip.jones588 Guest

11. lambchop

lambchop Guest

The guy I sub contract for at the moment asked for my P.L.I. Insurance and I said I dont have to have it as I come under yours, that was the end of the conversation. Each time I do a service I put his company details but my reg number. I hope this is right, please say if not. Been told many firms try and and get there subbies to have their own P.L.I so if anything goes wrong they will either get their insurance company to sue you or pass the customer your P.L.I. details straight to the customer and wash there hands of the situation.

12. grahamgas

grahamgas Guest

Probably just a rouse so he does not have to have employers liability.

13. ecowarm

ecowarm Guest

If you are employed by a company then no, if you sub or sub contract then yes you do need your own PLI

14. lambchop

lambchop Guest

thanks for advice will have to look further into it especially if Im liable, he said (I know best to get it in writing) that he will put me under his

15. RPG 80

RPG 80 Guest

I wouldn't expect gas safe to give a definitive answer on what they had for tea last night, let alone insurance requirements of a gsr engineer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AWheating

its likely in his small print it states that his insurance only covers direct employee's. every company i know requires you to have 2m pli when you subby for them.

17. tamz

tamz Guest

If you are subbing you need to have your own PLI. If you don't and anything happens you will wish you had as his won't cover you.

18. quality

quality Plumber GSR

I had an gas safe inspection recently and one of the first things he wanted was my insurance certificate

19. Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson Plumber GSR

I can't believe anyone would contemplate working for profit without public liabliity.

20. kay-jay

kay-jay Trusted Plumber GSR

pli is a big fat no brainer. get some or else or it could all end in tears

21. AWheating

just to note that if you wish to become hetas registered you have to prove to them that you have 2m PLI. With that and making co detectors compulsary with solid fuel installs it seems somebody has some common sense.

22. COL_nottm

COL_nottm Guest

Im suprised its not a legal requirement, you cant drive a car without insurance so why would it be legal to work on someones property without it.

I have £5m cover for domestic and commercial and only pay around £400/yr why would you not have it...

23. lame plumber

lame plumber Guest

have a look at the last post date before posting col old son, youve been hitting some very old threads

24. leethegasman

leethegasman GSR

I can put temporary workers on mine FOC but I do have to name them I would be careful and look in to getting your own because no one will back you up if anything happens and you will be on your own fighting to save all you have worked hard for.

25. leethegasman

leethegasman GSR

Very old thread

26. dancinplumba

dancinplumba Trusted Plumber GSR

But you can drive a car on the road without insurance, infact without anything :)

• Like Like x 1
  27. thompsonbrown

thompsonbrown Plumber GSR

Were you taking the micky or do you know about "Common law" still used in england and accounts for around 50% of people getting away without insurance.

28. dancinplumba

dancinplumba Trusted Plumber GSR

Taking Micky where ?

29. thompsonbrown

thompsonbrown Plumber GSR

Ok taking the p#ss. Micky is the same as that without the hashtag
    Where im from.

30. Philipweson

Philipweson Guest

it is not a legal requirement for you to obtain any public liability, you may do work for someone such as the council or a housing association who will normally want to see your liability before commencing any work for them.
    If you have employees or if you use labour only subcontractors then you will by law require employers liability which will automatically have public liability with the policy.

if you do not have any public liability and you are negligent in your duties and get sued then you could loose everything you have worked for.

As for recommending someone, to cut a long story short, Coversure Insurance in Middlesbrough really helped me out with some tricky liability insurance with a great price.

get a quote from a broker who knows what they are doing and then decide if you want to take the risk of not getting any insurance.

Hope i helped...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. liability insurance needed for gas engineer

• Users found this page by searching for:

1. liability insurance needed for gas engineer