Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss is this normal plumbing not dropped through floor above? in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Paul Shuff

Paul Shuff New Member

Hi all
    our kitchen ceiling had to come down, so while all the building work is being done we also decided to have a new ch system fitted with combi boiler. above kitchen i get home to find boiler fitted but instead of dropping pipes down from boiler and fitting along joists the plumber gone straight along bottom wall it looks ghastly?
    please see pictures it will explain more...
    why has he not just dropped pipes and up again where needed, he said something about fire risk fitting copper joints near new joists?
    Im confused... 20170730_114047.jpg 20170730_114159.jpg 20170806_122315.jpg 20170806_122324.jpg 20170806_122335.jpg
    cheers 20170730_114047.jpg 20170730_114159.jpg 20170806_122315.jpg 20170806_122324.jpg 20170806_122335.jpg
    Paul

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Looks like laziness

Any chance of a pic from below of the boiler up to make sure there's nothing in the way

3. Paul Shuff

Paul Shuff New Member

hi im at work but thanks for your quick reply, ill get a photo tonight lookinh up when i get home..
    thanks
    paul

4. bacon_sandwich

bacon_sandwich GSR

Just reminded me of yesterday, added two rads to an existing system, used soldered end feed fittings. Managed to set all fire detectors off and i had to put the floor joist out with a spray water bottle, happy days...
    I am sure he could have routed the pipes more elegantly but its much more work and certainly needs carefully planning to solder, otherwise its push fit/compression fittings, yuck.

5. Ant Parkes

Ant Parkes Member

LOL. Soldering anywhere can be a fire risk. All he had to do was either keep them away from joists where possible and use a mat.

People get away with this stuff?

Would say lazy, as the above is the easiest route. However, did you ask for them not to be on show?

6. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Is he a dwarf?

7. Ant Parkes

Ant Parkes Member

I thought that. The window cill is low too!

8. Paul Shuff

Paul Shuff New Member

Hi engineer
    heres the piccy you wanted looking up from kitchen at where the bottom of boiler is..
    many thanks guys for all your input, well its all working well at least. the rest of the work has been fine, also i got discount. i can now get it all boxed in and make things neater.
    paul plu.jpg

9. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Please tell me that is not a compression elbow on the gas pipe which will be in an inaccessible place?????????? I also thought you should not have plastic fittings within 1 meter of the tails of the boiler? (Or is that just flow and return?) Any chance that you can also show us where the condense pipe runs inside and out please.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Spot on was just about to say hope that middle pipe isn't gas

Also hot and cold are fine distance wise but that's a mess seriously I would get that re done not acceptable

11. Harvest Fields

As above. I would want more then a discount. I would want that fixed to how I would expect it to be. (The bits under the floor). I am not sure if this has been answered or not. But did the engineer say it would be run under the floor or was the pipework not mentioned

12. pipeman-

pipeman- Plumber GSR

Some people have no pride in there work ,just looking for the dosh

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bogart

Bogart New Member

As Harvest Fields says should not be a compression fitting where access is limited and I think between flooring and plasterboard is a definite no go area. The boiler manual will tell you how long a run in copper you need before switching to plastic.

14. Harvest Fields

True there mate. It actually makes me sad that people pay out there good hard earned cash and get engineers that do work like that. It wouldn't surprise me if that was not even a cheap install.

15. snowhead

snowhead Well-Known Member

Continued assasination by the Internet;

Heating flow / return are copper around the wall, so no issue with plastic too close to the boiler.

If that was mine, I'd have run the heating flow and return down from the boiler into the floor, straight across to the other side of the room, supported on noggins.
    Then up onto the wall and tidied up the pipework into the corner.
    I'd have run the Hot and cold the same route, avoiding drilling the joists to the right.

Re the gas, of the 3 pipes the choice is Plastic, Compression elbow, plastic.
    None of them fit the requirements for Gas.
    I hope the gas pipe hasn't been notched into those nice new joists.

The cable seems to be self supporting .