Search the forum,

Discuss Isolating a radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice on my radiator valves. I need to isolate and drain a radiator so I can remove it for decorating. I have a valve on either end that look like the attached photo. A quick Google suggests that they're lockshield valves. The question is, are the tops supposed to come off? Or are they supposed to turn? They both seem pretty solid and I don't want to apply too much force if I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Grant

IMG_20171125_143600.jpg

To isolate remove the top cap. You will need a spanner and turn it anti clockwise. You will need an Alan key to isolate it. Rotate it clockwise to shut off the valve. Then you can loosen the nut going into the rad and drain it off. Turn the other side off too !!

To isolate remove the top cap. You will need a spanner and turn it anti clockwise. You will need an Alan key to isolate it. Rotate it clockwise to shut off the valve. Then you can loosen the nut going into the rad and drain it off. Turn the other side off too !!

Thanks Scott. That's the reassurance I was looking for.

Count the number of turns (to the nearest 1/6th or 1/8th turn) to fully closed, and when putting them back, open them the same number of part turns. That way you will keep the balance of the system as it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Isolating a radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock