Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss isolating mains water to building stop valve in the Plumbing Forum area at

  1. Serval

    Serval Member

    Ive got a installer out fitting a new kitchen and doing a few mods to the existing pipe work. one of which requires turning off the mains water supply to the building in order to move the location of the cold feed stop cock located in the kitchen.

    The fitter said he wasn't able to isolate the supply to the building and he'd have to get a special key in order to do this..

    I went and had a look at the meter/mains valve myself and it looks like this



    unless im missing something is it not just a case of turning the handle to isolate the supply?

    I noticed that there are some tabs that can be seen behind the main body/face of the meter so maybe that's something?

    If anyone's familiar with this type of valve/meter pictured it would be good to know what might be needed and where i might be able to get it if need be

  2. scott_d

    scott_d Plumber GSR

    The brass handle to the right
  3. Riley

    Riley Plumber GSR

    Unless it’s seized and he’s getting something to help him turn it
  4. snowhead

    snowhead Well-Known Member

    If the Installer can't cope with turning off the street stop cock, then should he/she be altering pipework in the house?

    For special key read, piece of pipe or even timber with a slot cut in the end, test it on the internal stop tap first to get the cut correct.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Do you live in a flat or house ?

    And when the cold water is running do the dials turn on the meter ?
  6. Serval

    Serval Member


    And yes, when the cold is running the dials on the meter turn
  7. king of pipes

    king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

    If the stopcock is seized contact your water company to free it off i had the same problem a few weeks ago Essex and suffolk water snapped the valve off trying to close it so had to replace it , once this is sorted you can then work on the internal stopcock and pipework . cheers kop
  8. plumbandplumber

    plumbandplumber Member

Similar Threads - isolating mains water Forum Date
15mm Soft Copper Pipe for above ground mains Fittings & Pipes Aug 30, 2018
Fitted gold scalemaster on mains but still bad? Plumbing Forum Aug 25, 2018