Search the forum,

Discuss Isolator valve keeps opening in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an issue with what seems to be a self opening valve..
Had a plumber out today to look at a leak from a pipe in the bathroom.

He found the leak was from an old isolation valve so he's fitted a new one. The pipe its self is cut off, I believe it was connected to an old hot water tank which is still there but obsolete. Instead of capping the water supply to this pipe, he's just put a new isolater on (he says as we're planning on putting a new bathroom in in the future, best to leave the supply there)

Plumber says the valve was 22mm (i might have misremembered that part) but he's fitted a 15mm.

Anyway, the same thing happened with the new valve, I isolated it, plumbe returned and said, there cant be anything wrong with it S its new. I tried explaining its somehow opened on its own but nothing more could be done.

Its now happened two more times.
I can't find anything that's causing it to open. It's happened once when I've switched the boiler back on, but the other times the boilers been off so might be a coincidence.

Dont really want to pay for another plumber yet, as I can isolate it myself, when it leaks. The trouble is I can't leave it unattended as its happening randomly(seemingly), so dont want to come back to a worse flood than before.

To top it off the main stop tap has seized (old house and recently bought it) so we can't switch the water supply off completely if going out/to bed etc.

Any ideas on what could be causing it?
Ive ran all of the taps, flushed loo etc and switched boiler on and off a couple of times again, but its not happened after that.

Could I just put some sort of glue to completely seal the bit that you turn, to stop it from opening?

Any chance of a pic?

And ISO valves just don't open on there own

Thats what I've thought lol. But each time its leaked again, the wheel thing has been slightly turned in the open direction.

Its in a little bath cupboard so there's no chance of it being knocked or caught on anything.

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

When leaking its the top bit that fills up and there's a little spray that comes out as well

Lol lol , they bloody well can open , dont u believe they can not .
High water pressure, slack screw etc etc .
I never leave one turned off without a 30 mm piece of copper in with a soldered cap in the end . Its happened to me once , it will never happen again

Lol lol , they bloody well can open , dont u believe they can not .
High water pressure, slack screw etc etc .
I never leave one turned off without a 30 mm piece of copper in with a soldered cap in the end . Its happened to me once , it will never happen again

Must be the combination of high pressure and water shock notch moving them like a ratchet

Atleast I know I'm not going mad!

I may be way off the mark, but am I looking to just get one of these and fit it over the wheel thing (nut?) Will that keep it secure?

IMG_4169.JPG

Atleast I know I'm not going mad!

I may be way off the mark, but am I looking to just get one of these and fit it over the wheel thing (nut?) Will that keep it secure?

View attachment 31311

No it's a stop end you need a piece of pipe and another nut and olive, check my links should be everything you need

I wouldnt be too happy with the plumber fitting the isolater like that. Definitely should of been blanked off properly or at least put a proper fitting on the isolater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Isolator valve keeps opening in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock