Search the forum,

Discuss Jobs you hate doing. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
any job that involves family/friends

Doing work at home when the enemy and kids are around

Mowing the lawn, housework, childrens' laundry, changing the beds, weekly shopping, mucking out the horses, growing the veg, doing the house bills, chatting to the neighbours, walking the dogs ...

Totally agree with the last three posts!!! LOL

Except for the horses part, I love that.

Only kidding, I don't have any gee gees.

They're my wife's horses. I have some really odd hobbies instead!

Mowing the lawn, housework, childrens' laundry, changing the beds, weekly shopping, mucking out the horses, growing the veg, doing the house bills, chatting to the neighbours, walking the dogs ...
Man, thats a big hated jobs list. Anything jobs you like? :p

Filling glasses with alcohol, keeping the family up to date with the rugby and Formula 1 results.

Oh, and what's happening on ukplumbersforums ...

Man, thats a big hated jobs list. Anything jobs you like? :p
Having said this, thats a top list and agree with almost it all bar growing the veg, as i dont touch plants or vegetables and the horses one(doesn picking up dog poo count?)

I dont pick up dog poo, my dog knows how to hide it lol :p

but supposidly new laws kickin in in glasgow you get fined £500 for not pickin up your dog poo, seems they like to crack down on things like this but not illegal gas fitting

I dont pick up dog poo, my dog knows how to hide it lol :p

but supposidly new laws kickin in in glasgow you get fined £500 for not pickin up your dog poo, seems they like to crack down on things like this but not illegal gas fitting
Aye, that'll be the most expensive poop your dog will have ever taken if the wardens see it lol.

I live right next to a park and he seems to like to make an effort in hiding them so its all good :alucard:

i hate walking into a house thinking youve got a nice easy boiler service and when you ask where it is the customer points to the fire and you get a sinking fealing when you realise they have a back boiler (lots of swearing in my head). fitting diverter valves to 24cdi's or worst still an expansion vessel. Not having enough time to do a job, worcester 400 hw heat exchangers, fitting gas fires, doing other engineers jobs especialy when there ****. moaning customers, customers that think they should get everything for free. Infact why do i do this job?

I hate anything that starts with the Customer saying "Its only..." unless they finish by saying " 5 days till Christmas" :prrr:

oh yes and another thing that annoys me is when they say they want a service, you get there and the boilers not working, they want a repair and service for the cost of an hours labour.

I'm quite happy with work, but only so long as someone else is doing it instead of me.

changing bath taps. i hate this.

plumber merchants who dont have what you want even when its just a basic plumbing part

eg this morning .....
basin flexi connectors...no
basin tap back nuts..... no
swan neck pan connector...no
bag of iso valves....no

good grief !!!

plumber merchants who dont have what you want even when its just a basic plumbing part

eg this morning .....
bag of iso valves....no

good grief !!!

You sure you were in a plumbers merchants?!

i find when you get a run of jobs going fine, more or less to plan, few fun challenges to overcome, pleasant customers who are very pleased, decent pay, you get in your van and think 'this is a good job really. i'm my own boss, doing a sociable job, making decent money, being of service...'

then when you've had a panic, or a serious of frustrations, a spirit-wilting set-back, an annoying customer, feel you've let somone down or let your standards slip, when you end up wasting your time, being called back to the same job several times, then suddenly it's a stressful, unforgiving, combative and often lonely job.

my over-riding opnion of this job - in the relatively brief amout of time i've been doing it - is it is very up and down. but i reckon better up than down than complete predictability (office job.)

and sometimes after a really tough day, when i get in the van mumbling to myself about quitting and giving up, i find when i get home, smarting and throbbing and barely able to walk about, i find i have this sort of buzz. like i may have gone ten rouns with tyson but i'm proud of it. it's a sense of achievement. so yeah, all in all, for now, i'm of the opinion it's a good job.

but let's give it 10 years...

eg this morning .....
bag of iso valves....no

good grief !!!

It's stock take week, never have anything in this week, every year!

I think Watertight must have read my brain, I don't think the job could have been described more eloquently, it is almost poetic. His words should be mandatory reading for everyone thinking of going on the tools. It has raised my spirits - thank you Watertight.

I like tiling, it's the grouting, I detest with a passion.
Hate the tiling, hate the grouting, hate the adhesive....with a passion. Next year I'm going to push more wall cladding than tiling. Looks better too and washes down with a damp cloth and no more mouldy grout in the future. Plus it's very easy and quick to fit, downside is the price at bout £80 per sheet, but if you take grout and adhesive and the price of decent tiles, the price isn't too bad.

Changing taps.

Having just been made redundant I'm not going to turn anything down for the minute to get me name back out there.

This morning I went to change a monoblock kitchen sink mixer. Things didn't get off to a good start when I couldn't find my set of box spanners (not used them for 5 years) so I knew I was going to struggle a bit. Get to the job to find that the guy that had installed the tap had done a lovely job of soldering the copper tails into a fitting. The tails came down nice and close to each other and there was no play on the pipes to get a slice on the old tails so I had to cut the hot on the horizontal to give me enough play to get the old tap off. All this was done with a bucket underneath as the stoptap would turn off fully and the one in the road was full of crud. This ten minute job took me over an hour but at least the customer was happy and I've left her with a few business cards.

I should have learnt my lesson and given it up for today but my cold basin tap has been dripping for an age now and the seat is knackered so it needed replacing. To be honest we're not on a meter and I was happy to let it drip but SWMBO reckons the noise of the drip keeps her awake at night so I went and picked up a new pair of taps.

I couldn't shift the tap connector nut but I managed to spin the cold tap and it came free. Unfortunately it was the ballofix tap connector coming apart rather than the tap coming away from the connector. Typically the back nut was brass so I couldn't snap it and pull the remnants of the tap conn out through the hole in the basin. Instead I had to hacksaw the tap off above the basin. I then cut the pipe back and fitted a ballofix valve lower down.

The connector on the hot didn't want to shift either but I managed to spin that one out and leave the tap conn in one piece. The nut on the tap conn was completely seized so I cut this one back and fitted another ballofix.

I sweated up a couple of tap conns outside and came in and fitted them to the new taps. The fibre washer on the hot side wouldn't seal and after half a dozen attempts I ended up stickers two washers in. I remembered then why I used to keep a stock of poly tap conn washers.

Fortunately the cold side went back together with no leaks but in all it took me nearly 3 hours to change a pair of flipping basin taps.

Boilers are so much easier to fit than taps.

For me it's anything with water

Love doing gas

i find when you get a run of jobs going fine, more or less to plan, few fun challenges to overcome, pleasant customers who are very pleased, decent pay, you get in your van and think 'this is a good job really. i'm my own boss, doing a sociable job, making decent money, being of service...'

then when you've had a panic, or a serious of frustrations, a spirit-wilting set-back, an annoying customer, feel you've let somone down or let your standards slip, when you end up wasting your time, being called back to the same job several times, then suddenly it's a stressful, unforgiving, combative and often lonely job.

my over-riding opnion of this job - in the relatively brief amout of time i've been doing it - is it is very up and down. but i reckon better up than down than complete predictability (office job.)

and sometimes after a really tough day, when i get in the van mumbling to myself about quitting and giving up, i find when i get home, smarting and throbbing and barely able to walk about, i find i have this sort of buzz. like i may have gone ten rouns with tyson but i'm proud of it. it's a sense of achievement. so yeah, all in all, for now, i'm of the opinion it's a good job.

but let's give it 10 years...

Brilliant post Watertight.

You're wasted as a plumber!

You should be a plumbers psychiatrist/psychologist/therapist! :hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Jobs you hate doing. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock