Search the forum,

Discuss Jobs you hate doing. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant post Watertight.

You're wasted as a plumber!

You should be a plumbers psychiatrist/psychologist/therapist! :hurray:

Yeah but he wouldn't earn as much as a plumber!

easy job that always end up being aa rite royal pain in the arse and everything that caan go wrong does. also jobsss wwhere parts are discontinued and u spend your time trying to get round it another way.

i woke up thinking of my genuine, non-philosophising, answer to this thread this morning - which must prove how bad it is!

and it is a job.

writing up quotes. for a start i think any job where it's down to you to decide when to do it - and you've any number of days you could do it on - instantly becomes doubly worse because not only do you have to do it, but you have to think about it repeatedly throughout the week until you've got round to it AND then motivate yourself to do it once you decide it's late.

if you're booked in to turn up at a house at 8.30am there is no motivation necessary. you are absolved of the of responsibility of motivation. you can stop thinking about it. but writing up a quote is like excercise. nobody is actually forcing you to do it NOW. you could do it tomorrow morning instead. afterall you've been busy. or even tomorrow evening. but does that ability to put off exercise stop you thinking about it or worrying about it of feeling guilty about it or apparently in my case bloody well dreaming about it?

when you add up time taken to drive to a house, time taken to chat, time taken to look at job, make notes, measure up. time taken to drive somewhere else, time taken to cost and write up the quote - often involving bartering with yourself over final price, then to submit the quote, then to speak to them on the phone to discuss it and then to book it in....and with no guarantee at any point of getting paid for any of it!

add on top of that the frankly countless seconds of thought throughout the week where you realise you'll still haven't done it and it's still sliding up and down your to-do list - it's in the back of your mind, got to get it done.

it's probably the largest most comprehensive potential waste of time we experience. so yeah, quotes.

and in writing that i just wasted another 5 minutes.

ok. that's final. i'm doing his stupid quote now.

right after this coffee.

Once again Watertight, right on the money. Lost count of the number of times I have convinced myself to drop the first price I came up with only to be met with 'is that all I had expected it to be more'. I have tried everything from guestimates, to complicated matrices and at the end of the day, I still end up staring at the first price and finding some reason to drop it a bit. My news years resolution is to go with the first figure and see what happens, I may have a lot more time for this forum!

charge accordingly, i carried out a landlord certificate and boiler service in the same house and upon looking at my invoice i thought...that's a bit high, but im comparing it to the numpties that are quoting silly prices, so sod it i went with the price and i also added an extra ÂŁ10er to my usual service price to another customer, she was over the moon as i included sealing her flue in the service aswell to save any aggro over warning notices

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Jobs you hate doing. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock