Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen airlock? (+pics) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,
The kitchen sink in the property we are renting drains really slowly, and I was hoping to remedy or alleviate this with some educated advice.

In addition to draining slowly, the sink also back fills when the washing machine pumps water out.

I have had the initial undersink work apart and none of it is blocked.
Further, there is a one way vent/valve teeing off the undersink waste (that when I open it the water runs away, but will quickly pour out of the valve/vent). I had this bit off and it appears to still work in allowing air one way but not the other.

The whole undersink area seems 'busy', and I wonder if thst is why it backs up and if there is a more straight forward (efficient) way for it to be set up.

From the pics:

• Is the washer plumbed in too early?
  • Is that concertina piece overcomplicating things unnecessarily?
  • Is the valve/vent the issue and needs replacing?

Obviously as a rental I don't want to be doing loads of work, but if I can resolve it easily myself I would like to.

If anyone can explain why it doesn't drain/how to fix it I will be very grateful.

Thanks.

C
IMG_20231207_184226.jpg
IMG_20231207_184328.jpg
IMG_20231207_184322.jpg
IMG_20231207_184254.jpg

I suspect that the root cause is insufficient fall on the grey waste-pipe that is hidden behind the built in unit. (Can you see where it ends up?) The horrid flexible section and air admittance valve were probably added last in an unsuccessful attempt to fix/prevent the problem you are investigating.

A proper cure will probably involve a lot of work to gain access and make good afterwards, which is probably why it's been left as is.

As Chuck,,
Plus it's quite possible there's a blockage further downstream behind the sink or wherever it joins to a stack or goes out to a drain gulley.
The behaviour of the Auto air vent and the back filling by the washer seems to confirm that there is a partial blockage.
The blockage will be beyond / below where the washer waste joins to the sink waste.

And or the pipework behind there has no or correct fall on it.

So, we have our answer.

I tried a snake/rod down the waste, but revealed no immediate blockage.

Our landlord called out a 'drain man' and all was revealed. Our waste goes on quite an around the houses route to a shared drain in next doors garden, and some decorative stones and gravel were causing an obstacle. It will likely happen again, but for now we have free flowing water.

Thank you again for all of the advice, viewpoints and suggestions.

Merry Christmas, and good drains to all men.

Reply to Kitchen airlock? (+pics) in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock