Search the forum,

Discuss landlord in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
90 % of the village can do it that , lol it was a lesson at the comp :)

Hi Vectra65,

I had the exact same thing happen to me. In the end i called to the rented property and removed the boiler. People like these know that the law is on their side. If you try and solve it legally it will cost you more than the profit in the job and he'd end up paying you a fiver a week for ever. If you have the reciept for the boiler then as far as im concerned its yours. And if its a card gas meter give it a nudge on the way out!

i no mate never had this before try to make aliving and these people do this to us am i responsible to cap the gas off at meter or can i just shut valve might have to do it quick

As long as you don't force an entry, ie, if you still have a key, or tenant allows you access, then I personally would risk removing boiler & leaving safe. Its your word against his, so what could the police do, especially if you have a key? He probably wouldnt do a thing. I bet landlord doesn't accept tenants not paying.

Small Claims Track Costs and time taken
N1 claim form to file action = ÂŁ80
Allocation Questionaire = ÂŁ40
Hearing fee for claims upto ÂŁ3k = ÂŁ165

The Inland Revenue views Landlords as Rental Businesses so it may be possible to claim compensation (ÂŁ70) and interest (8% above base rate) under the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998, I'll find out next April and let you know. My action is for unpaid work from last March so that'll be 13 months between doing the work and getting paid IF I win the case, I'll let you make your own mind up to whether taking a scumlord to court is worth the agro!!

Just knock on the door,walk in saying you are finishing job,take off the wall and walk out,only take 1/2 hour(if police called,all they would do is ask you to leave),if you have time cut back pipework and keep for easy refit by yourself ,once cash in your back pocket,do not mess about,strike while the iron is hot,once you have the boiler in your van,you are in the driving seat,civil case,police will not want to know

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
He wont of done. Most arent bright enough to think of doing that.

My method is to wait - longest so far has been 5½ months, but I still got paid. I've not yet had a bad debt (but have had to stop asking for money where a job's gone a little wrong, which nearly amounts to the same thing.)

None of us likes to wait but I do find it a near fool proof method of receiving payment. In 3 months they can't have any excuses up their sleeve when you prompt them about payment.

If you won't wait then:

First stage is to make sure your "case" is waterproof. For example, does your invoice say pay within a certain period or by a certain date, does it demand full payment or is this not mentioned? Just because you do a job responsively, quickly and to the agreed price does not mean you'll get the payment quickly unless you have sorted this out in advance or show it on the invoice.

Second stage is to contact him.
If he won't talk or meet you then you have to send a letter (recorded delivery). This letter should give him reasonable time to pay, usually 7 days.

After this you need to send another letter (solicitor type letter) giving him another 7 days and warning him of possible charges and interest.
This gives him a full two weeks to pay without penalty.

I'd suggest after this the small claims court is the cheapest and most beneficial method and I think this can be done on line.

There might be a lawyers forum for further advice?

I wish you luck!

PS - if you damage his property or try taking "your" materials back, this amounts to criminal damage and you will be the loser. I know, I don't agree either, but that's the law in this country.

i am willing to do anything to get as i see it my property back if it means prison or any other punishment i will except this they should not be allowed to get away with this i know the legal way will take longer but when your out of pocket to some scrowt who wont pay the only action is an eye for an eye

The likes of Richard Branson didn't start their businesses with that sort of attitude.

The likes of Richard Branson didn't start their businesses with that sort of attitude.

Richard Branson had some very wealthy parents behind him despite what the media like to make out and was lucky his pickle business took off !! :beatnik:

Get a very good solicitor that'll recover all fees from the party that owes money and do it the legal way.

i work by myself i pay my bills my taxes i payed for this boiler out off my own pocket to get **** on by a get of a landlord i dont own houses only one and i work bloody hard to pay for it plus i wasnt born with a silver spoon in my mouth were i live money is money and not a toy you can throw around every penny is hard graft and hard to earn

Richard Branson had some very wealthy parents behind him despite what the media like to make out and was lucky his pickle business took off !! :beatnik:

I never knew that - or if I did, I'd forgotten.

no mate i no his family and him just dis to abuse people ne knows bad idea

fone up transco say theres a leak and they wont let you in the,ll cap the gas from outside it cost him ÂŁ2000 to get it back on

ps providing ye gas safe

i would try and gain access to the household, if something you have paid for which you have the receipt and he has nothing and remove it from his house then whats the deal, you didnt force entry or anyhting like that, seen on the news not that long ago builder didnt get payed for making a canopy outside a house he turned up with sledgehammer destroyed it and took back his bricks

i know the laws the law but i have never been a man of the law anyway, cost you alot of money-stress going to courts, will be cheaper ways of getting your money/payback

Go back round and knock as i bet he aint told tenants as then they will be suspicious of him afterwards. He would never ring tenants saying dont let gas man in as it would look suspicious. tell tenant theres been a recall with make of boiler and for safety reasons your fitting a brand new one there and then, act normal even ask for a cuppa, keep them talking away with you then remove and say you will be back in 30 mins and NEVER go back! and i guarantee they wont even question it as the end of the day they aint paying. They will never ring you as its landlords resposibility to maintain property, especially a boiler in this weather. Promise it will work mate, but remove and cap safely at least.

Keep everyone posted with outcome mate.

Could possibly be a problem if you go and get your boiler back if you don't return the old one you removed they could then possibly have you done for theft. Ridiculous but it is a possibility. I'd have to research it but I think it could be the case.

Its a legal minefield really. If you do what paul78 suggests you can be done on a technicality to do with entering a property under false pretences or some rubbish. But TBH to get any of these up against you the landlord would need a pretty good legal team and then it isn't guaranteed. Just get in and take it :)

I think you're correct there Samh - this is what I've been suggesting in previous posts.

Law is on the non-payer's side, unfortunately.

Threaten him with a debt collection agency that report him to experian which will adversely effect him getting any buy to let mortgages. if you don't get anywhere sell the debt.

For the future I would get a solicitor to draw you a contract up, so it does not effect you in this way again. You also might want to consider Factoring finance where you issue a invoice then the finance company raise 70%-80% against the invoice. then they take their fees of the rest. But what is good about some factoring companies like VENTURE FINANCE is it, becomes their debt for the first part of the payment to you. therefore reducing the damage to your cash flow, SO ONCE YOU GOT YOUR INITIAL PAYMENT ITS YOURS TO KEEP but other factoring companies don't do this. They chase the debt.
The only down side to invoice finance is the fees 8% on invoice to you and a monthly fee.

Its unfortunate indeed. You could do it and the courts would come down on your side, but your name and reputation would be damaged. You get someone googling you before ringing you to do a job it will all be around somewhere :/
I'd say do it legally by the letter, may take forever, but atleast you can't get into trouble for it. You've also learnt a valuable lesson about not buying expensive parts/materials with no deposit or guarantee that they will pay up. Some people will do anything not to pay.

Has the landlord said he will give you permission to retrieve the boiler? if so get your solicitor to draft an agreement up for him to sign it so you have proof when you go to remove the boiler he can't call the police and say daft stuff. just cover yer arse m8.

Go back round and knock as i bet he aint told tenants as then they will be suspicious of him afterwards. He would never ring tenants saying dont let gas man in as it would look suspicious. tell tenant theres been a recall with make of boiler and for safety reasons your fitting a brand new one there and then, act normal even ask for a cuppa, keep them talking away with you then remove and say you will be back in 30 mins and NEVER go back! and i guarantee they wont even question it as the end of the day they aint paying. They will never ring you as its landlords resposibility to maintain property, especially a boiler in this weather. Promise it will work mate, but remove and cap safely at least.

Keep everyone posted with outcome mate.
exactly what i was going to say,#
but dont forget the box of bricks representing the new boiler, and take some one with you just in case.

If not getting this boiler back would ruin me - as in bankruptcy or out on the street - I would prob resort to getting it back and hope I didn't end up in trouble. If I thought it would be a painful mistake, perhaps lead to a difficult couple of months financially (even at christmas, i know, terrible) then I would try the legal route - but with the presumption that probably nothing would come of it.

Some of the best practises you develop are due to painful mistakes. I once kicked off my toe nail and broke my toe whilst running round a corner with just socks on. That was long time ago and the pain is long gone but aint no fire, nor impatient naked lady getting me running anywhere with no shoes on. After this you'll implement a policy which gives you piece of mind. Even if it's 50%-100% cost of materials up front or no dice.

i just lost out on a job for a landlord, old boiler cylinder out new combi in, top floor flat so lifting all floorboards, upgrading gas from meter, got undercut by at least 600, prob B&Q boiler no room stat no gas upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to landlord in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock