Search the forum,

Discuss lead cock! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

REDSAW

100 year old mains stopcock in lead that is in a tight kitchen cabinet at the back of the gas meter decides its past its age.
plan was to chop in new cock above old one and re-route pipe work to services..did all that pack tools away and turn the street mains back on.

i now found the old cock valve has collapsed its guts and wont turn back on past a dribble !!:6:

what do you do ??????????:toetap05:

hit the side off the stopcock while opening or remove it and use a transition coupling

if you take the meter out is there not enough space to swap the old tap for a lead lock?

tried hitting it!
problem is access, can only get one arm and half in cabinet.
other problem is its a shared bc so that means more properties involved, ok till it goes tees up and cant get a seal on it.
i could be out there indefinitely !!

what about calling severn trent out and give them the liability?

Water authority will rubber ear you. Not their problem.
Why did you not just cut the old valve out. You can tighten a philmack with one hand.

Water authority will rubber ear you. Not their problem.
Why did you not just cut the old valve out. You can tighten a philmack with one hand.

no my problem either really. the house is vacant, i'm to fat to get in cupboard, cant really be arsed and dont want the hassle.
bring someone in and its their problem ;) i have plenty of other work to do there nevemind pulling out the kitchen to get at it!

what size philmack is it you need to 7lb-1/2''?

BTW, the b/c dosnt shut off properly either so still flows when off!

no my problem either really. the house is vacant, i'm to fat to get in cupboard, cant really be arsed and dont want the hassle.
bring someone in and its their problem ;) i have plenty of other work to do there nevemind pulling out the kitchen to get at it!

what size philmack is it you need to 7lb-1/2''?

BTW, the b/c dosnt shut off properly either so still flows when off!

All I can see is another vid of the plumber vs mains pressure :D

And think it's 14-18mm there's a chart that philmac do but can't find it atm

Last edited:
All I can see is another vid of the plumber vs mains pressure :D

And think it's 14-18mm there's a chart that philmac do but can't find it atm
looks like 21mm ! had another look today and owners came down from liverpool to inspect.
i told them i could do it but was not comfortable in the 0.01% of a problem, they totally understand i dont want the resposibility as there will be no one living there. ;)
i told them also i am more gas than service supply side plumbing. so asked me to put a new hob in tomorrow ;)
see what happens///

Leadlock would be 1st choice but if access for tightening is problem then talbot pushfit, MDPE to lead would be my alternative. As with any lead, necessary to clean and round pipe, also with pushfit, chamfer cut to ease insertion to correct depth. Tried once to recover fitting for reuse but grip on offcut of pipe would not allow even when working on bench.

so as it goes..

other plumber come from ST recommended list to do the lead pipe whilst i was doing my gas hob.
he was there about an hour and half and put a lead lock on it.

sorry if your a member on here ;)

i dissapeared for a bit to give him space as it as doing his head in. after he finished and left, the house holder climbed into the cupboard half hour after and said,'its leaking'!
plumber comes back about 2;30pm and was there about 20mins to 'tighten it up'.

i left at 4;30pm with my ÂŁ160 for the hob and apparently the mains...its still leaking :)

also, there is no pressure on it, its like comming from a header tank type of flow?

told you i didnt want anything to do with it.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to lead cock! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello. I've just replaced our old Potterton EP2 CH controller with a Drayton Wiser HubR (& peripherals). The old backing plate wasn't compatible with the new universal one, but the wiring was pretty close AFAICT (N, L, 1, 3 & 4 connected) .When I first powered it up but didn't have any TRVs...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
Two connected houses in our 70s condo development, everyone served by one water meter at the road. 833 has 40 lbs of pressure while attached house 835 has over 100 lbs. -- no problems in either house or immediately outside -- and no pressure relief valves or shutoffs. Plumber traced the...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It required a drain and refill of the system, and as he left, he advised my I would need to bleed all the radiators, at some point, given a few days, when...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock