Search the forum,

Discuss Lead waste pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ferdon

Hi all,

I have am in the process of installing new bathroom for a friend and have come across an issue that is new to me and wondered if anyone could give me a bit of guidance please.

The issue:
The bath and sink being replaced are from the dark ages (cast iron bath which weighed an absolute ton even with 3 of us!) and the waste traps on both are made from shaped lead. Both waste pipes go down directly into a concrete floor and without digging the floor out I do not know where they join the main waste outlet.

The new suite is intended to have standard plastic traps and I am unsure how to join the plastic waste and trap to the lead outlets and seal it so that there is no risk of leakage in the future.

Has anyone come across this in the past or does any of the forum readers have any suggestions. All will be greatly received.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.:)

hello m8. a know for pressurised lead pipes you canpurchase something called lead lock so am sure they should have something on the same lines but for wastes.

Lee and AJS,

Thanks for your advice.

I will ask the local plumbers merchant for these items.

Your help is very much appreciated. Cheers:)

Hi Ferdon
I understand your problem, however it pays to assess the risk before embarking on such a project. You need to identify where the wastes terminate prior starting, this may allow the using of new materials through out the waste system. If copping up the floors what it takes do it. Be aware that the old lead pipe may well fracture at the point it enters the cement/concrete floor if too much movement is employed. I applaud your commitment to a friend but a cock up that don't show up for say twelve months may well affect the relationship. The expression "Fur coat no knickers" acts as good mentor when used in relation to plumbing work. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Lead waste pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Everyone, Can anyone help? I have been searching but with no luck. I am trying to fit a Duravit shower trap which has a 50mm outside diameter euro pipe size outlet. I need to attach it to a 40mm UK size waste pipe and would prefer to solvent weld it as the pipe will be under a tiled...
Replies
Views
  • Question
A while ago I replaced a leaky, corroded sink trap. That all appears to be fine, I can't find any leaks with it, and everything under the sink appears to be consistently dry. The problem I have is that there appears to be a leak where the waste pipe out from the bottle trap meets the wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Excuse the length but this seems like a complicated fix. I lived in a 1930s block of flats. Brick building with concrete slab floors. The waste stack is internal and bricked into corner of the bathroom. I noticed paint peeling and brown staining recently at the bottom near the...
Replies
Views
Morning All, Just after some advice as I have been asked to plumb in a sink and washing machine waste for a new kitchenette. The other side of the stud wall shown is the bathroom, with the toilet attached to the soil pipe bottom right and a small basin attached to the 32mm waste. The wall is...
Replies
Views
Hello there! I hope your weekend has started well. TL/DR: Should I replace 90-degree bend with a smaller type to increase the fall from the shower tray? I am replacing a bathtub with a 1500 X 800 Sonas shower tray which I will place on 4-inch blocks, probably with some 18mm marine ply on top...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock