1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Leak on tiled bathroom shelf in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Luis1212

Luis1212 New Member

Hi all, I recently had a bathroom fitted and to make up for a chimney breast recess, a shelf was put next to the shower bath. This seems to be the source of a leak to the ceiling below. The builder added extra sealant along the grout lines and corners and while it helped for a couple of weeks it's now leaking again. The builder will check again and ask his tiler but he seems very unsure. Can anyone advise on the best course of action. They say there is a slight angle on the shelf to help water dribble down to the bath, but it doesn't look that great an angle.

The tile is ceramic. Is there any advice people can give to rectify the problem? I'd like to have some idea so I can be sure to ask the right questions as to what the builder chooses to do. Advice much appreciated. Thanks

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Any chance of a few pictures?

3. Luis1212

Luis1212 New Member

Hi Shaun, this one I have on my phone. The shelf is obvioulsy on the far side, same tile as the wall. Thanks very much

image1.JPG

4. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Is the water definitely not coming from anywhere else under the bath?

• Like Like x 1
  5. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

My thought as well, between the edge of the bath and a wall? Worth taking the bath panel off and having a look under there.

6. Luis1212

Luis1212 New Member

We've resealed all along the edges, and we definitely noted the floor was bone dry when the leak started again. I will ask the builder to remove the panel. We did fill the bath up last time and there was no leak but I'm not sure we ran the shower for a while to ensure the piping there wasn't leaking.

Is there a reason why you're both doubtful it's not the shelf? As I said, we've added sealant all along the grout lines on tiled shelf and again along all corners and edges. Thanks again

7. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Unless he hasn't used waterproof grout, and your sure you've sealed all around (corners etc) shouldn't be getting in from the shelf

Best bet would be take the bath panel off and use the shower head and start one end and work to the other soaking everything

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. Luis1212

Luis1212 New Member

Thanks so much for the comments. I'll follow through on that advice

9. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Bath panel off , and work upwards , just put water down waste , keep looking underneath, no leak , then move upwards again and soak bath to tile seal , look underneath, no leak then soak the shelf . The most popular leak I go to is on leaks under baths is the bath to tile seal and shower screen seals , not saying your is but this way you should be able to suss it out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. king of pipes

king of pipes Plumber GSR

Check your overflow on the bath to bud fill it up to overflow if its ok its another one crossed of the list , then let the bath load go and check that to cheers kop

11. Allgoode

Allgoode GSR

As above, start at the bottom & work your way up with the bath side panel off.

Bath traps & overflows common for seepage/leaks, can be as simple as square profile seal on trap where it joins plug drain edge being twisted/not correctly aligned. Takes longer to remove bath side panel than to sort.

Next thing as mentioned is the top bath to tile edge sealing, if bath not correctly fitted/supported as your move around in bath when showering the silicone seal may move/let water through. This would possibly not be evident if you were standing outside the bath & had the shower handset in your hand & where spraying the bath edge/tile edge sealant areas.

Finally as mentioned above, was waterproof/water resistant tile adhesive used? I always use BAL Grip Plus 15ltr. Never had an issue. Also check your grout as well, use Mapei grout without any issues.

Silicone sealant should only be applied to a thoroughly cleaned & degreased surface otherwise effective adhesion/sealing may not be achieved & not applied over existing sealant.

With the shelf again you need to ensure that there is sufficient runoff of the water to prevent pooling of the water which could cause moisture penetration which could exhibit once saturation point was reached.

Hope this helps with your issues,

Andy

• Agree Agree x 1