Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking boiler repair or replace? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neil9327

Hi,

I have a 12-year old combination boiler that has been leaking water for the past few months. In recent weeks the leaking has increased.
I got a plumber in to look at it, and he said it was leaking in 3 places, and would cost £200 for parts to fix the leaks, £200 labour, and £300 to
replace the brown liquid in the radiators (which by this time has been replaced by tap water).
Total £700

A new boiler will cost around £2800.

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on whether I should repair it for the £700, or replace it for the £2800?

Thanks

The £300 add on price to "replace the brown liquid in radiators" seems a bit steep!
I assume it means extra work of a power flush and chemical cleaner plus finally an inhibitor. If not, then just a flush through with mains water and chemicals (still recommended) usually shouldn't add much extra to labour and materials cost IMO.
Also if thinking of new boiler option, get another quote or two on a replacement boiler.

Last edited:
Replace would be my advice , a 12 year old combi is nearing the end of it's life expectancy , there is no way I would spend that amount £2800 is a fair price for a install, go by recommendation a local respected Gas safe installer , replace the radiator valves a have chemical clean , new boiler, mag filter, descaler , shock arrestor and updated controls and ask about after care alot of manufacturers are offering 10 year warranties now , every installer will have their personal favourite to fit Baxi Platinum is mine other will have theirs best of luck k

Spending £700 to repair a 12 year old combi. is never going to be a wise investment. Worse if it develops future faults,Sunk Fund Fallacy will encourage you to spend further monies so as not to "Waste" the £700 pounds already spent.
Anyone with new boiler should be putting aside £25/month to cover cost of eventual replacement and ensure annual service to keep warranty valid. If starting with 5 year old boiler the monthly set aside needs to be £50.
The alternative for those without funds is extended finance of which some deals are better than others. Based on a neighbour's experience. BG were the least competitive. B&Q were the least organised, AA came up with a deal, so outstanding, that I suspect they aim to promote other financial products once customer is secured.
If customer can make initial payment of 25% cost, expect to pay over 7 years no more than some are already paying for boiler insurance. Just ensure annual service to maintain warranty.

Do you know what is leaking ? may be something simple, if money is a bit tight ring boiler manufacture and ask about a fixed price repair (around £300) and you can spread the costs as well.

i would put the money to a new boiler as if you choose repair it could last 5 month - 5 years we cant grantee anything like that,

i normally say with a combi more than 10 years old your better off replacing than repairing

Do you know what is leaking ? may be something simple, if money is a bit tight ring boiler manufacture and ask about a fixed price repair (around £300) and you can spread the costs as well.

Thanks for all answers so far. Sounds like the consensus is to replace rather than repair.

To answer your question, it is the DWH heat exchanger and condensate trap that are leaking. It is a Vaillant ecoMax 824/2 boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking boiler repair or replace? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Vaillant Ecotec Plus 832 boiler is 13 years old, 4 of which since we've been living there, started to play up in last couple of months. An engineer with very good reviews came round and says it will cost 700+VAT for 'replacement expansion vessel, pressure relief valve and diverter valve on...
Replies
Views
Hello My solar thermal system appears to be leaking fluid (pics attached). Could anyone give me an indication of what the issue is likely to be and the potential cost to rectify? The system was installed in May 2021 and has a flat plate panel on the roof. It works very well generally and...
Replies
Views
P
I have a proboil 2x boiler for my instant hot water tap. It has developed a leak from inside the casing. This is the 3rd boiler i have had now as replacements and all developing the same leak. I live in a soft water area, any ideas what could be causing this or is this a known fault?
Replies
Views
N Nicho
N
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
J
Hello, hoping someone can advise me. My boiler stopped working - no hot water or central heating. Called out a company who came and assessed the problem as being that the hot water element in the immersion tank needed replacing. (I don't know exactly what it is called as the company has still...
Replies
Views
Johnno1966
J
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock