Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking Pipe Syndrome in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. The original ceramic washer on the pipe beneath the taps behind the sink bowl broke a few years ago. Actually it cracked when I tried to undo the nut because there was a leak. A flood ensued of course. It was replaced using a red washer which I assume is made from hard rubber. That broke less than a year ago and now its replacement appears to have gone as well. So I have two questions:

1. Is this normal? I mean are modern washers just not a permanent solution?
  2. A friend has advised me to try using silicone to seal the nut without a washer. Is that a viable remedy or do you have a better one?

Cheers.

its a fibre washer

1 : no normally once there in there fine unless the tap is loose and turns / spins

2 : dont use that

The tap doesn't move.

The water's definitely coming from the same pipe. These washers are very thin. Are they the right ones to use?

I have placed a bucket beneath the pipe for now but the leaking has gone from one to three buckets a day. Is there something temporary I could put round the broken washer? Or even round the new one as well to reinforce its sealing capacity.

The tap doesn't move.

The water's definitely coming from the same pipe. These washers are very thin. Are they the right ones to use?

I have placed a bucket beneath the pipe for now but the leaking has gone from one to three buckets a day. Is there something temporary I could put round the broken washer? Or even round the new one as well to reinforce its sealing capacity.

yes red fibre washers

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...3t6WOm0C47S8Aeh0KPABA#q=red+tap+fibre+washers

is the nut under neath loose ish?

Yeah that's the one. No it's not at all loose. I'm a tad worried because someone else did it before and now it's my turn. The tool I have to undo the nut isn't ideal and my experience last time wasn't very positive. I'm assuming it's the same problem even though as you say these washers shouldn't break or whatever after only a year.

Yeah that's the one. No it's not at all loose. I'm a tad worried because someone else did it before and now it's my turn. The tool I have to undo the nut isn't ideal and my experience last time wasn't very positive. I'm assuming it's the same problem even though as you say these washers shouldn't break or whatever after only a year.

Fibre washers can be damaged if fitted wonky or the nut is overtightened. Why not get a professional in to do it, they'll have the right tools, knowledge and experience to get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking Pipe Syndrome in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock