Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking stopcock without packing gland in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

as you can see pictured I have a stopcock without a packing gland. Over the past few days my cistern inlet was suffering from an airlock and it was hammering constantly after filling. I turned off this stopcock, drained all the pipes, turned the taps back off and then let the water back in. The hammering stopped, thankfully. However, now the stopcock is leaking very slowly but not insignificantly. There is no packing gland, so it's not possible to tighten it or repack it etc. The only thing on it is a circlip that I don't think has any function re leaking.

The tap was a little stiff to turn when turning off - I haven't used it since I've lived here for five years. But it didn't take too much torque to make it turn. It still functions - I can turn the water on and off. But I cannot stop this little leak.

Has anyone any ideas or insight on the matter?

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2233.JPG
    IMG_2233.JPG
    428.1 KB · Views: 18
It seems to have a horseshoe circlip (red arrow) instead of the usual nut, you could presumably remove the clip and this may enable packing? Not familiar with it .
If no joy, you could undo at the blue arrow and gain access to the back end of the spindle.

However you could get a new stopcock and exchange the “guts” with your existing one by undoing at the blue arrow. I often do this if pipework is restricted. If not, just change the stopcock.

Turn water off further back before trying any of this!

Attachments

• IMG_5658.jpeg
    IMG_5658.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for your reply, Ben-gee. The circlip's function has nothing to do with packing - removing it wouldn't reveal any space to pack, sadly. I've experimented with turning the tap round a bit more, and in other positions, and the leak is less, but still present. I think you're right in that only a replacement will help. Is it generally accepted that the attached lever ball valve is a better replacement than a regular tap?

It seems to have a horseshoe circlip (red arrow) instead of the usual nut, you could presumably remove the clip and this may enable packing? Not familiar with it .
If no joy, you could undo at the blue arrow and gain access to the back end of the spindle.

However you could get a new stopcock and exchange the “guts” with your existing one by undoing at the blue arrow. I often do this if pipework is restricted. If not, just change the stopcock.

Turn water off further back before trying any of this!

Attachments

• Stainless-Steel-Lockable-Ball-Valve.jpg
    Stainless-Steel-Lockable-Ball-Valve.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 14
Any other advice or suggestions on this one?

This is a stopcock for a cold water feed from a rooftop tank. To replace this tap will require turning off the feed above which will be very difficult to organise and carry out, so it really is a last resort option. Hoping someone might have some more insight...

Thanks

I think if you remove the innerds (technical term), then remove the cir-clip, the shaft will push out backwards and there will probably be an 'o' ring on it.

I'm guessing!
I've never seen one like this before.
Speaking as a Plumber, I would replace the tap with a new one and have done with it.

I think if you remove the innerds (technical term), then remove the cir-clip, the shaft will push out backwards and there will probably be an 'o' ring on it.

I'm guessing!
I've never seen one like this before.
Speaking as a Plumber, I would replace the tap with a new one and have done with it.
That would mean undoing the part that Ben-gee pointed to with a blue arrow? Undoing that to get to the inside will start a flow of water I imagine?

That would mean undoing the part that Ben-gee pointed to with a blue arrow? Undoing that to get to the inside will start a flow of water I imagine?
Oh yes. You would need to turn the water off in the street, and drain off.
That's why I think it's easier just to change the whole thing.

Reply to Leaking stopcock without packing gland in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock