Search the forum,

Discuss Leaky Toilets in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SimonGW

I've been trying find good information about leaky toilets - what do I mean and why? Well there has been a lot of discussion in water regs circles that the changes in 1999 which brought about the introduction of valve flushing mechanisms has created an enormous increase in faulty toilets and the amount of water leaking from toilets - damaged valves, no external overflows to see the problems and also few have meters so leaks don't cost money - just a waste of water. With the water companies and Government spending so much time trying to avoid drought measures in the South East; are they in fact putting their heads in the sand if the purported issues of leaky toilets are not acknowledged. I'm interested in any information, anecedotal or otherwise that might help me understand how significant this issue really is!

Most toilets in USA use flapper valves. Even though they're constantly warping and letting by, wasting water, and in need of repair the manufacturers discourage awareness to the issue and modifying them or using a siphon due to the turnover being very lucrative.

I often come across leaky toilets from the cheaper types of flushing mechanisms. Without external overflows, people tend to just put up with it until it gets really bad and the sound of running water keeps them awake. I would agree that it is an issue as vast quantities of water can be lost over time at only a slow, but constant drip.

The thing is with external overflows it was getting to be a bit of a pain fitting WCs when people are wanting en-suites in places where you cant get an overflow pipe away easily.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaky Toilets in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My mother has been away on holiday for a few weeks and she has a kitchen mixer tap that has a very slow drip nothing significant - been like that for a couple of years. The mixer has a a long spout that can be rotated between sink and drain bowl. She left the house meticulously clean. I came to...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
N
Hi I've had a new bathroom plumbed and an en suite in the room next door. All new plumbing to the outside sewer along one wall, plumber had free reign on making it work as there were a couple of obstacles - a chimney breast in the bathroom that the toilets are in front of and an RSJ over a...
Replies
Views
Hello, Recently I received an unusually large water bill which led me to the discovery of leaking flush valves. I have two toilets and it turned out in both the valve seals were bubbling so I set out to replace them. For now I just flipped them over as the other side was smooth on both. The...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I moved into a new build three bedroom, two bathroom bungalow about 2.5 years ago. Ever since we moved in there has been an issue with the water pressure. Toward the end of last year the pressure had got worse. For instance, you could not run another tap in the house if a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock