Discuss Level 3 Plumbing and Heating is it worth it in this situation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello Everyone, Just a quick question regarding the level 3, having recently finnished nvq 2.

I am trying to work out if the level 3 nvq is worth me doing. The dilemma I have is that my current employer does not do gas. We mostly fit bathrooms, do genral plumbing, and oil installations. To do my level 3 i would either have to change employer or go to a college much further away from me where they offered the other level 3 pathways.

I am considering therefore doing my un vented and oftec quals as additions to my level 2 to futher my knowladge and skills.

Just wanted some feedback from people more experienced in the industry as to weather they think this would hold me back in my future career as a plumber or not. Would gladly make the effort if people deemed it important. From what i have read it is possible to also become gas qualified without the level 3 in the future, if working with a gas engineer.

Cheers

You used to be able to do a level 3 without gas .

Cant answer your question directly, but it occurs to me that teh decision to do L3 must be based on what you can get out of it VS what you ultimately want to do. Not everyone does gas. Not everyone wants to do gas. Many many people earn a very good living going nowhere near it.

Personally I ask yourself what it is you like doing and simply concentrate on that. FWIW, in my experience, it is FAR FAR FAR more important to develop great people skills and to be able to communicate effectively. :cool:

Cant answer your question directly, but it occurs to me that teh decision to do L3 must be based on what you can get out of it VS what you ultimately want to do. Not everyone does gas. Not everyone wants to do gas. Many many people earn a very good living going nowhere near it.

Personally I ask yourself what it is you like doing and simply concentrate on that. FWIW, in my experience, it is FAR FAR FAR more important to develop great people skills and to be able to communicate effectively. :cool:

I did level 3 with gas but several others on the course did everything on the course but just left the gas off . It would be handy for tomsta if that was still the case today .

Hi Tom. Totally depends on whether you want to go on to do gas. I’m new to this site but having spent the past hour reading posts, the overwhelming majority are lads and lasses asking for a mentor for their gas portfolio. If your company don’t do work on gas, and that’s the road you want to go down. I’d find a company that could train you up before you spent your hard earned money doing level 3.

All the best in whatever you decide.

Thanks for the replies guys all makes sense. The level 3 would be funded by myself and I would imagine my wages would reflect the fact I was going to college for one day of the working week

Reply to Level 3 Plumbing and Heating is it worth it in this situation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back