Search the forum,

Discuss Loft pipe stack seals in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I recently bought a new build for my terminally ill wife. I think the place is great but I'm worried about two things I hoped somebody could help me with.

One is actually the roof - it has soffit vents only - somebody else told me ridge vents would also be good not only for ventilation but to secure the first row of tiles. I don't know what standards dictate.. maybe soffits are enough. (His was a Marley roof and two front tiles fell off before the builder put in ridge vents. Mine is a Russell roof).

To the main issue.. I remember a co-worker told me years ago that pipes in his loft were connected with tape and that this started to leak waste gases into his loft. He had a battle with his builder to get a proprietary seal put in to join the pipes.

I understand even if pipes are low pressure, an air tightness test still has to be done, even if just 100mBar for 5 minutes on bathroom exhaust pipe. I don't think that's been done and was told that tape connecting my pipes is ok - duct tape, fit for purpose.

I'll post two pics and please, if you could advise, that would be a massive help... With the wife's illness I'm really struggling to check this out according to any sort of standard and don't know what to do.

The one with blue tape is from the kitchen and en suite, I think. The one that looks like it's been sealed with masking tape is the main stack from the main bathroom, I think.... I don't know why tape would be used if a proper rubber seal was already in place....

Apart from this, and it may not be an issue, I'm pleased and think the site team is good, so want to stay on-side.

Thank you ! :)

IMG_20170701_151529.jpg

IMG_20170701_151547.jpg

Fyi I'm typing up the snagging list for Monday. If this isn't right and needs sorted, any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks once again on behalf of both of us!

looks like there from an fan/extractor set, and they look fine

These look more like extractor vents from bathroom/kitchen not main soil vents, some roof spaces require ridge vents for air circulation to stop condension ask your builder about them

Thanks, guys!
So pipes for an extractor set don't need any sort of rubber seal between them - tape is good enough?

Though I think I should still ask if they've been pressure tested because my friend did have a break I the tape of his join and it did make his loft a bit smelly!

Much appreciated!

Yes they don't need to be tested as there's no pressure really just a flow of air

Normally use silver foil tap but gaffa tape works ok as well (the black stuff)

Hi guys,

Another point that's been raised...

Should these pipes be insulated? Else if hot air is rising inside and the cold loft air meets the hot pipe, there will be condensation forming and running down the exterior of the pipe?

Tricky point non arnt but depends on how long the run is

And you can get insulted duct flex if they say you can't

Think with this point I think your fighting a loosing battle

Good point.. it's warm air on a cold surface, isn't it? So if it does form, it will be inside the pipe and would drip back down to the extractor itself.

Drains aren't really my thing, but If the first picture is of the top of a soil stack then I don't like the look of how it's been done much. I think I'd ask some questions about what's under all that tape and wrapping. Where's the rodding point for when a blockage needs to be dealt with?

I'd prefer it to be either straight up and though the roof via a proper kit or an air admittance valve in the roof space. But, as I said, drains aren't really my thing.

Drains aren't really my thing, but If the first picture is of the top of a soil stack then I don't like the look of how it's been done much. I think I'd ask some questions about what's under all that tape and wrapping. Where's the rodding point for when a blockage needs to be dealt with?

I'd prefer it to be either straight up and though the roof via a proper kit or an air admittance valve in the roof space. But, as I said, drains aren't really my thing.

It's for a fan

It's for a fan

Hmm, okay. It just seemed odd to me that, if that's the case, it's done so differently from the other one. That and the OP writing "The one that looks like it's been sealed with masking tape is the main stack from the main bathroom, I think.." made me wonder.

Hmm, okay. It just seemed odd to me that, if that's the case, it's done so differently from the other one. That and the OP writing "The one that looks like it's been sealed with masking tape is the main stack from the main bathroom, I think.." made me wonder.

Bathroom fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loft pipe stack seals in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock