Search the forum,

Discuss Loose toilet seat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chris0117

My toilet seat is loose but I cannot work out how to tighten the bolt. See the photo of the bolt from underneath - it is the smaller one in the photo. There is a square nut and a washer with tabs which prevent the nut from turning. I am sure the solution is simple but as access if difficult and I do not want to break anything I would appreciate advice on how to tighten the bolt. Also what type/size of tool would I need to use as it is difficult to get underneath to view the nut and access it as the pan is a wall hung one and there is not much room underneath. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2015-11-26 13.25.48 q.jpg
    2015-11-26 13.25.48 q.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 66
it tightens from the hinge of the seat. there will be a cap over it.

Welcome to the forums chris.
If your still struggling try a picture from the top showing the hinges.

Thanks. I posted a photo from above but cannot see my post yet. Are all posts checked before appearing on the forum?

Trying again!

Attachments

• 2015-11-26 18.33.57q.jpg
    2015-11-26 18.33.57q.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks redsaw and rpm. I do not understand how to access from above.

Also the hinge is rusty so probably needs replacing. Is it possible to obtain and replace the hinge or fit a new seat if I can get a similar one?

i am sure the chrome caps pop off with a screwdriver. pivot them out to the side and you should find a roofing bolt under it.
been a while since i seen one of those but i think they sell those seats in wickes!

Thanks I will have a go when I next go to the flat (my son's). Will it need a large screwdriver to turn the bolt or a spanner? Might I need to unscrew the seat also from the hinge to get direct access from above (as I am not at the flat now difficult for me to figure this out)? Thanks very much for advice.

Im thinking that is not standard seat fittings,
I would start again with a new seat.

Thanks I will have a go when I next go to the flat (my son's). Will it need a large screwdriver to turn the bolt or a spanner? Might I need to unscrew the seat also from the hinge to get direct access from above (as I am not at the flat now difficult for me to figure this out)? Thanks very much for advice.

Take a hacksaw and a socket set.

This is a photo from above with seat and lid closed. Hopefully once the caps are popped off I will be able to get access.

Attachments

• 2015-11-26 18.33.44q.jpg
    2015-11-26 18.33.44q.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 51
It`s been a looong time since I`ve square nuts however try a get a socket on the nut and tighten from below.
I`m thinking the square bolt head is held in place by the hinges so popping the caps off wont help.
If it all looking a bit rusty and ropey just cut it off and start again. Have your son watch the new one go on as time will come where he will need to re tighten it.

i am sure the chrome caps pop off with a screwdriver. pivot them out to the side and you should find a roofing bolt under it.
been a while since i seen one of those but i think they sell those seats in wickes!
Thanks Redsaw. The chrome caps would not off at at first but eventually my son got them off and as you said there is a bolt underneath. Photo attached.
ideally I would like to get a new hinge to replace this rusty one but there is no manufacturer name on the toilet for me to order one or even a new hinge and seat. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Attachments

• IMG-20161116-WA0009s.jpg
    IMG-20161116-WA0009s.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 24
Thanks Redsaw. The chrome caps would not off at at first but eventually my son got them off and as you said there is a bolt underneath. Photo attached.
ideally I would like to get a new hinge to replace this rusty one but there is no manufacturer name on the toilet for me to order one or even a new hinge and seat. Thanks to everyone who replied.

think they sell the hinge in toolstation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loose toilet seat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock