Search the forum,

Discuss Low hot water outlet pressure fron unvented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tam345

Having problems resolving a low hot water outlet flow rate from an unvenetd water heater system at all the hot water outlets throughout the property.

The system incorporates a Megaflo boiler unit (Model CL170 from Heatrae Sadia) which is configured for indirect heating via a gas fired boiler.

Recharging the air volume within the Megaflo unit does not appear to resolve this issue.

I have also fully drained the system and subsequently refilled it which does appear to resolve the low flow rate. Unfortunately after the water is heated the flow rate drops off yet again.

If I drain the system and refill it to restore the pressure then subsequently ensure both the indirect heating and direct immersion heater are switched off then pressure can be maintained. For all locations in the property the hot water outlet flow rate seemed comparable to the cold water outlet flow rate after a cold refill. I have run an outlet tap for about 20 minutes in this configuration and there was no apparent drop in flow rate at the outlet. This suggests that the cold water inlet to the cylinder was sufficient and there is no issue with the pressure reducing inlet valve. I have also removed this inlet valve and cleaned the strainer to ensure no blockages.

Even after a very short time of heating then the drop in flow rate at the hot water outlets is very apparent. There is no apparent discharge at the tundish (neither visually or no sounds) from the Temperature and Pressure relief valve during this short heating period suggesting this valve is also okay.

Thinking this is likely to indicate a definite problem with the cylinder itself. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Tam345 and :welcome: to the form :)

Sounds like a strange scenario you're describing ... flow okay when cold but not when hot! Is there any kind of temp controlled mixer valve fitted to this system?

Hi diamondgas, thanks for the response.

Think there is only one, which is a thermostatic mixer for a shower on the hot water outlet.

How many outlets we talking just to give a picture of the system?

Like yourself I'd be thinking something going on within the cylinder that doesn't like heat ... I'm not familiar with the heatrae you mention so will have to check out the mi's ....... unventeds tend to be straight in and out regards the hot water supply though yeh?

6 outlets in total and all would appear to have been fine previously. Periodic recharging of the air volume sometimes required and resolved simillar problems.

One cold feed and one hot outlet with a couple of safety valves for pressure and temperature relief in the system.

Single flow and return also for the indirect heating.

Just thought I might try heating by the immersion only instead of the indirect boiler on the off chance that it may be something in the indirect heating loop.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low hot water outlet pressure fron unvented cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m having issues with cold water to multiple outlets. Taps, showers, toilets cold water is fine at the kitchen sink. The hot water system is a Glenhill unvented cylinder. Hot water is fine at all outlets. I assumed the cold outlets not working were from the balanced cold from the...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon all, I am hopeful someone may be able to offer some guidance on the following. In the home we have a gas boiler (serviced annually, October time) providing hot water to the CH system which is split into 3 zones (Honeywell 2-way valves) and it also heats the HW tank (Tribune...
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I am fitting new taps and a shower mixer in my en-suite and was looking to isolate the hot water pipes. I have an unvented indirect heating system (have attached some photos). I was wondering if the isolation valve that would shut off the water to the hot water taps is as circled in the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock