Search the forum,

Discuss Magna Clean or Fernox TF1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi peeps, don't know how many of you fit or clean these.

I've always stuck to the Magna Clean filter, but the TF1 looks easier to install and more user friendly. The question I have is, does it work as well.

I've always been amazed by the crap that the Magna Clean filters grab, even if it is a mucky job. Is the magnet in the TF1 as big or as powerful.

Possibly I'll have to take one apart and have a butchers!

Cheers,
Dan

About the same to install however the TF1 is slightly cheaper. Both work well and magnets are about the same. Downside is that the TF1 is mainly designed for a wall hung boiler with pipework coming up from below, else horizontally with flow left to right. For return pipes coming in from above or the left you need to get one of their conversion kits which have to be ordered specially. Why they don't include them in the packages I don't know.

Last edited:
price is probably why

Im interested to know the power of the magnet as well but no idea how this would be measured or proved execpt by having on of each and see how much it can pick up

check out the spirotech ones, they are versatile in their positioning, they also do a combo valve which is also super efficient at removing air from the system.

KJ

Cheers for the advice, especially regarding the posistioning of the TF1 and the need to buy additional conversion kits.

I don't think the magnet in a TF1 looks as big as a Magna Clean, but as I say I have never fitted a TF1 so I really can't judge.

I'll take a look at a spirotech one too.

Main reason I'm asking is I'm installing a couple of boilers in the next few weeks, and not only is the TF1 a bit cheaper, but it's the Fernox brand, which I personally hold in high regards.

Once again, great answers, thanks.

I always fit the Spirovent. Solid brass body, and doesn't need dismantling to empty debris. Can fit on a pipe that's at any angle, as the body can be rotated 360 degrees. Also guaranteed for 20 years.

I use both the Magnaclean & the Spirotech Magnaboost.
I like the way you can see all the crap the Magnaclean has collected & this also impresses customers.
The Spirotech is better made & easier to fit & , although I have no doubt it works just as well, it is difficult to see how much magnatite has been collected when venting it off as it is mixed with water & comes out at system pressure.
At the end of the day any of them are better than none at all.

I've just fitted a TF1 with my new boiler and I'm very happy with it, it's so easy to use. I'm also pretty sure it came with a load of different seals to use if mounted in any position other vertically.

Hi fitted them both magna clean and magnaboost both are just as good i think i wanted a mangaclean demo jar called them told them ive fitted lots of these products they said i could have one ÂŁ15 plus vat lol i wanted it to show customers what they where like

Hi fitted them both magna clean and magnaboost both are just as good i think i wanted a mangaclean demo jar called them told them ive fitted lots of these products they said i could have one ÂŁ15 plus vat lol i wanted it to show customers what they where like

I had the same thing with the TF1's and called Fernox and they also gave me a demo jar to demonstrate the effectiveness to the customer

Had prob's cleaning Magnacleans, lids sticking very tight, even managed to pull the unit off the valves, threads left in unions. Rang them, seemed to know about this & got it changed U/G.

Magna Clean all day long. I have always used these and now the twin tech is out this is even better. Thre was an article in the "Professional Plumber" magazine this month and they tested 3 different ones. the fernox tf1, the Magna Clean and the Spriotech. The Magna Clean came out on top with all tests. Stick with Magna Clean mate. You cant beat quality even if it is a bit more expensive than the rest

Magna Clean all day long. I have always used these and now the twin tech is out this is even better. Thre was an article in the "Professional Plumber" magazine this month and they tested 3 different ones. the fernox tf1, the Magna Clean and the Spriotech. The Magna Clean came out on top with all tests. Stick with Magna Clean mate. You cant beat quality even if it is a bit more expensive than the rest

Too many problems with them for me. When they first came out we fitted them on every job and we had to go back and change lots of them.
Also the TF1 is much better for cleaning out. TF1 all day long.Also the TF1 can be used to flush the system instead of fitting a tee.
The spirotechs are a waste of time as well in my opinion.
BG has stopped fitting the magnaclean because they are not designed to work on sealed systems ???thats what we were told anyway.. Magnaclean only test them to 1 Bar...

I like the Spirotech Magnabooster2 then the TF1 then the new Twintech, the Magnaclean has to be isolated & the lid removed which over time wears the iso valves & the seals.
The TF1 also needs to be isolated but you can dump the crap out of the bottom, the Twintech needs to be isolated & dump out of the bottom but the Spirotech doesn't need isolating & dumps out the bottom & comes with a 20 year guarantee & is made from brass, so no continuity issues.

yeah but the tests they do is how much crap they collect... they don't leave them is someones house for 2 years & clean it out regularly... I have one in my house, it's no more than 6 months old & the isolating valves are starting to stick already, I've had it open about 6 times!! I've got a Spirotech to put in when I get a round to it.

yeah but the tests they do is how much crap they collect... they don't leave them is someones house for 2 years & clean it out regularly... I have one in my house, it's no more than 6 months old & the isolating valves are starting to stick already, I've had it open about 6 times!! I've got a Spirotech to put in when I get a round to it.

in my opinion the spirotechs are just for show as they hardly collect anything.Also the magnates must be rubbish if you can just wash them off.
Try washing a magnaclean without taking the sleeve off and you will see what i mean.

The which report said biasi were there top boiler one year and i am sure no body would agree with that..
The magazine,s dont test them like our customers do over many years.

I have been thinking about this as I prefer Spirotecs and I was trying to understand why every one else prefers the Magnacleans and the Ferrnox TF1. I realise that these units are ok when used with domestic boilers up to 22mm pipework, but when working with heatpumps on 28mm pipework these units no longer become fit for purpose as they restrict the flow rate.

So I definatley recommend the Spirotec Magnabooster 2 every time

hi, i fit Tf1s at present mainly due to the ease of cleaning. pull magnet out and open drain from the bottom. customers like things easy :)

wont touch the magnaclean they always leak after a few months i stick to spirovent or TF1

be on the carefull side with recent TF1s, i have fitted a lot with no problems but the last few have had small leaks on the o ring where the air vent is

Anybody else had any problems with them ? ..

fitted my first tf1 last week not impressed leaked from the large o ring strait away prefer the magna cleans but a bit concerned on the o ring and iso issues

I've just fitted a TF1 with my new boiler and I'm very happy with it, it's so easy to use. I'm also pretty sure it came with a load of different seals to use if mounted in any position other vertically.

Ditto the one I fitted recently was also supplied with horizontal adaptors. I don't normally bother with them though not convinced they do that much good. I have never been back to an install yet with a sludge problem. I just follow the boiler manufacturers flushing procedure.

I fitted a magnaclean today after fitting quite a few TF1 filters over the last few months.
Got to say i won,t be fitting many more Magnacleans, The TF1 filters are so much better and much better to fit.

What are these new "Magnaclean Micro" filters I have seen in the merchants? Anybody used one?

Speaking to a BG engineer today he tells me he doesn't think much of the the Magnabooster 2 that they are now fitting. He told me that they dont seem to collect much.

The magnabooster2 is nowhere near as good at collecting sludge, just built better but if they don,t work then there is no point in fitting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Magna Clean or Fernox TF1 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Here are some similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock