Search the forum,

Discuss Making a new business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just be careful when doing 'foreigners'.

Some bosses have put GPS trackers in their vans.
Not a great way to end a working relationship by being caught by your employer for using his equipment for your own benefit.

Just remember

There are more plumbers looking for employers - than employers looking for plumbers.

Im pretty sure they have to let you know if there's a tracker fitted to the van, not 100% sure though.

Yes they do have to let you know also they have to share any data they have collected about your movements. Just don't speed, you can't be prosecuted for it but you can be instantly dismissed for gross negligence

I know if you have an accident the police and insurance company can check the details and use your speed data against your claim, although I don't know if it's accurate enough to prosecute with.

I know if you have an accident the police and insurance company can check the details and use your speed data against your claim, although I don't know if it's accurate enough to prosecute with.

If you crash normally the skid pattern and braking distance plus vehicle mass gets a much more accurate speed. But tracker will show u driving like a pleb for last 5 months

Company I work for now have 24/7 trackers in all the vans and a large sticker in windscreen after some idiot went to France on a booze cruise one weekend and ruined it for the rest of us. Now they know how many "coffee breaks" I take and where.
:mad2:

Company I work for now have 24/7 trackers in all the vans and a large sticker in windscreen after some idiot went to France on a booze cruise one weekend and ruined it for the rest of us. Now they know how many "coffee breaks" I take and where.
:mad2:

bet he's a popular guy now.

No longer with us, the guv didn`t mess about he was gone within 24hrs and everyone warned. I don`t blame him and would do the same if roles were reversed.
Ps anyone selling a small van for weekend use?

I asked a waitress for knosh once, she just looked at me in a disapproving manner, I did get some nosh, it was a stake and not the knosh she thought I was asking for (unfortunate as up Norf knosh = oral romance )

Do it properly.

Pay a graphic designer to do logo

Get all your gear branded up

Buy a. 30k van

Get it branded up

Pay through the nose for a website

Get an 0800 to your mobile and an 0500 fax

Get two iPhones

Pm me first when your going **** up and need to sell it all tho!

Or box clever , make NO commitments to service contracts , phones or or any other outgoing you couldn't ditch at 5 days notice without paying mega bucks.

Buy a van for cash or hire one on a rolling 30 day lease from Northgate

Get an unlocked phone get a giffgaff sim and out ÂŁ25 a month on it. Unlimited everything. - no massive bills.

EE unlimited can still cost you well over ÂŁ300 a month on data 0845's and google maps.

Get say no to 0870 app and your done.

Deliver your own flyers. Keep your accounts as lean as possible. Aim to have enough work done and paid by 15th of each month to pay all last months accounts. Rest of moth your not worrying .

Buy what you need not what you want.

Agree with a lot of this except that I did a logo/website for a guy who had only done a couple of jobs before he came to me and it helped him significantly to establish more trust, get clear on his offering and present a professional image from the off.

He would tell you himself how beneficial that was in his early startup phase.

He also leveraged this by taking jobs on from RatedPeople - He is now fairly established and get's regular work.

Not all websites will give you a reasonable return on investment but even if it's just a facebook page to start with and not a paid for dedicated website people expect professional companies to at least have some presence online.

It happens -I know today was out in my little car
observed 2 of my transits around Waterloo

Its my diesel and they are my trucks but my boys are
quite special - guess what - I know - where their Saturday 'office'
after 1300 is - a Pub and just 'chanced in'

I did not have to even offer a round - myfellas are good
and know the rules

centralheatking

employee of mine ever 'borrowed' my kit or stock I would do everything I could to make sure they were charged for it and got a criminal conviction.[/QUOTE]

Hi tunny0

Your post on here has attracted plenty of attention

We all have put up our comments - its been a good post so far

So Tell us what are you going to do - we like ends -or
results from our input to these posts - thats probably why we get involved
I suppose CHK

Hi guys n sorry for the questions I'm asking but you seem to be a good bunch and I've had some good feedback while being here right I'm serious about starting my own business I will generally be a bathroom installer and do some heating ie rads, new pipes and general maintainance my questions are this

Looking at the Company house website when it comes to register a new company it asks

Ltd company
Sole Trader
Sub contractor

What I'm struggling with is what is my best route to take I don't really want to be a subby but if the needs rise due to no work I'll consider it, also what money outlay are we talking to register a new company??

Thanks Tunny :)

Hi tunny0

Your post on here has attracted plenty of attention

We all have put up our comments - its been a good post so far

So Tell us what are you going to do - we like ends -or
results from our input to these posts - thats probably why we get involved
I suppose CHK

sure ill keep you updated

Im not going Ltd ive talked to alot of people and im not big enough to be Ltd, but its something to consider in the future

on wednesday i am forming my company on Company house website, i have today placed an order on vistaprint for 3000 flyers pretty cheap :) either thursday or friday i will be purchasing my PLI

Monday after i will be talking with my lawyer on what i need to be doing for the tax man and any other legal matters like tax and insurance

during that week i will be meeting a friend to open a website/email and do some logo and branding

already made a business page on facebook to advertise

once i have everything i need in place to make sure the company is legal and i know what i should be doing ill spend the rest of the time advertising and trying to get work

stumbled across another plumber who has work coming out of his ears so he could be sending some my way

bank accounts, van will follow in the future

anything ive missed? :)

A company is a legal entity, for example LTD.

If you are trading as a sole trader it's a business, not a company.

If you register with companies house you are forming a company. If your not intending to be LTD then there is no need to register with companies house, you do need to register as self employee with HMRC though.

Hope that helps.

A company is a legal entity, for example LTD.

If you are trading as a sole trader it's a business, not a company.

If you register with companies house you are forming a company. If your not intending to be LTD then there is no need to register with companies house, you do need to register as self employee with HMRC though.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for that, when you apply on company house it asks if you want to be Ltd or sole trader im guessing if you register the business name will be safe for no one else to use am i correct?

Are you sure?

basically to do what you are saying, you would need to register a LTD company and then declare it as dormant (ie not trading) you will then be required to file dormant accounts showing that the business has not traded in that period.

Companies house have no interest in sole traders. Sole traders can trade under whatever name they like with no need to notify anyone of that trading name on start up. That said, if you started trading as Tesco, their lawyers would soon be knocking on your door under copyright.

I think your getting too wrapped up in the whole thing, you need to tell HMRC you are self employed so they know to expect your tax return for year end April 2015. thats about it really as a sole trader.

Last edited:
Ive just read the info on it and I have filled out the forms to sub contract online, your right think i was getting too wrapped up into things lol, got to wait 4-6 weeks now for form SA250 to come

Thanks again :)

What on earth are you employing a solicitor for? That leech will bleed you dry before you've even made ÂŁ45!

Now your saying sub contract, I really feel you need to sit down with somebody before you do anymore form filling, yes it`s all exciting but get it wrong at this stage and your in for one big headache.

Your way over the top here mate. Your a sole trader, you haven't got any work and your shelling out like you had a turnover of ÂŁ2m last year. Hold on to those pennies. A fool and his money soon parted!

Start slow, inform hmrc you are going self employed and get your national insurance sorted. Don't be splashing out when you don't know where your next pay day is coming from.

What on earth are you employing a solicitor for? That leech will bleed you dry before you've even made ÂŁ45!

first hour is free get your info n walk out lol

Now your saying sub contract, I really feel you need to sit down with somebody before you do anymore form filling, yes it`s all exciting but get it wrong at this stage and your in for one big headache.

Nostrum's advice was sound so i read up on the theory and it works for me, its basically the same thing without having to tie yourself down, if i go **** up theres no ties really is there, this way i can find work on sites and work other places as i find them and build a business up

if someone had explained it better earlier on it might have sunk in :)

Your way over the top here mate. Your a sole trader, you haven't got any work and your shelling out like you had a turnover of ÂŁ2m last year. Hold on to those pennies. A fool and his money soon parted!

All due respect Ermin, i have spent ÂŁ47 so far on 3000 flyers, the most i will spend in the next week or so will be PLI, then maybe the website/branding

i can pay for that with the pocket money i saved up in my piggy :)

You just seem a bit excitable. I had my first ltd company when I was 18. I wound it up two years later with a loss of ÂŁ23k and a very annoyed farther!

Agree, I'd suggest writing up at least a basic business plan detailing things like your formation, services, target market etc.

Natwest used to have some very basic but worthwhile software free to download.

I think it can still be downloaded but they discontinued it - I'll see if I find a link for you.

You just seem a bit excitable. I had my first ltd company when I was 18. I wound it up two years later with a loss of ÂŁ23k and a very annoyed farther!

Please tell me you have made that back now, and we all know what guys are like at 18 in the pub most days by any chance?

Think you got lawyer/solicitor mixed up with an accountant?
no a lawyer i wanna divorce :)

joking aside i think im getting somewhere now, once my flyers come ill post one up so you can see my artisic and creative brain :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Making a new business in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock