Search the forum,

Discuss Mega Flo 250 Direct unvented - CONFUSED!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rocketboy

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this forum and would like some advice on the Mega flo 250 DDD direct unvented. We are starting our extension in April so I've been stocking up on materials! Anyway, to cut a long story short, I had a great deal on the above mention mega flo so I bought it (it cost £350.00 from a mate who had it left over after a refurb - brand new in all packaging with fixing kit, pressure valve etc). Should have done some research as I realised that it was direct model and I was hoping to have combi fitted. However, my mate thinks I should use the Mega flo for showers and bathroom (we will have 3 in the property - 2 on first floor and 1 in loft). Would it be sensible from a cost perspective to have a direct system just for the showers/bathroom and use a combi for the kitchen, underfloor heating, cloakroom and 12 rads in the property with no mega flo??

I spoke to a plumbing shop today in Camberley and they said it was a stupid idea - I should buy an indirect mega flo and run it off the combi from the ground floor. To be honest, I'm so confused now I wish I hadn't bought it in the first place!

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Nasser

Using electric to heat the water will be a lot more than using gas. Cut your losses, sell the direct unit and do as the plumbing shop says.

they gave you good advise
Hi everybody!

I'm new to this forum and would like some advice on the Mega flo 250 DDD direct unvented. We are starting our extension in April so I've been stocking up on materials! Anyway, to cut a long story short, I had a great deal on the above mention mega flo so I bought it (it cost £350.00 from a mate who had it left over after a refurb - brand new in all packaging with fixing kit, pressure valve etc). Should have done some research as I realised that it was direct model and I was hoping to have combi fitted. However, my mate thinks I should use the Mega flo for showers and bathroom (we will have 3 in the property - 2 on first floor and 1 in loft). Would it be sensible from a cost perspective to have a direct system just for the showers/bathroom and use a combi for the kitchen, underfloor heating, cloakroom and 12 rads in the property with no mega flo??

I spoke to a plumbing shop today in Camberley and they said it was a stupid idea - I should buy an indirect mega flo and run it off the combi from the ground floor. To be honest, I'm so confused now I wish I hadn't bought it in the first place!

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Nasser

How does your mate think the water in the cylinder is going to be heated?

Do yourself (and your wallet) a favour, get a plumber in. You need an unvented ticket to install one of these.

Thanks guys! Ok, well thats it then, I shall be putting the Mega flo on sale!

Hi Howsie, it has electric heating elements with a direct supply from the mains.

Unless you have a roof load of PV panels it'll cost you a fortune.

Get rid and get an indirect and system boiler.

Please remember that only qualified people can install these. Done wrong, they can blow your house up.

Hi Howsie, thanks and I appreicate the advice. I was never going to install one it myself, I crap at chaninging a fuse let alone dealing with this kind of work. Agreed, I will be going for the indirect type. Why a system bolier over combi??

Design consideration which I'd advise you to talk through with your plumber. Where are you based? Lots of very good guys on here.

Fitted a direct megaflow for someone in a 1 bedroom flat with no gas supply. They say they have to set an alarm clock so they don't spend too long in the shower and cost themselves a fortune in electric!

this is what can happen when you mess with unvented cylinders. Get a pro in saving a few bob is not going to keep you and your family safe.

[video=youtube_share;61uDmQF5I2E]http://youtu.be/61uDmQF5I2E[/video]

Most people who have these direct (heated by electric immersion only) cylinders are on the cheaper overnight electric tariffs (Economy 7) so enough water is heated overnight to last the whole day your DDD 250 would be large enough but even so I would go for an indirect unit (heated via a coil from the heating boiler) which would be a lot smaller (CL).
Megaflo-Expert who is a member on here might cover your area PM him for a quote ?

this is what can happen when you mess with unvented cylinders. Get a pro in saving a few bob is not going to keep you and your family safe.

[video=youtube_share;61uDmQF5I2E]http://youtu.be/61uDmQF5I2E[/video]

That's what can happen if you weld up all the safety devices and apply power. :19:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mega Flo 250 Direct unvented - CONFUSED!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock