Search the forum,

Discuss Megaflow always on question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

We just moved into a 3 story house, with a megaflow system. Water is heated by a gas boiler.

The megaflow seems to be on pretty much all day , even outside of any timed heating or hot water programs - I can hear a humming sound when I open the door to the cupboard.

Is this normal ? I did notice that sometimes in the afternoon when the programs are not on, if I do a quick boost of the central heating, the gas boiler fires up. If I then switch the central heating program to off again, the megaflow stops and is completely silent.

Is something not working correctly, or I am worrying about nothing ?

thanks in advance

P.S No issues with water pressure, or water temperature

The megaflow seems to be on pretty much all day , even outside of any timed heating or hot water programs - I can hear a humming sound when I open the door to the cupboard.

Check that the electric immersion heater has not been left switched on. It should normally be off so the water is heated only by the gas boiler, which is ca 20% of the cost of heating by electricity.

Hi,

The switch in the cupboard where the Megaflow is, is in the off position (the red light on the switch is not on).

Using the electricity smart meter, installed by our energy provider there does not seem to be any additional usage of electricity when the Megaflow is making the noise vs when it is completely silent.

Using the electricity smart meter, installed by our energy provider there does not seem to be any additional usage of electricity when the Megaflow is making the noise vs when it is completely silent.

If you can rule out electricity and gas as the source of energy for your 'hum' that leaves water.

Most likely candidate is a pressure reducing valve that is 'chattering' instead of closing cleanly. These are safety-critical components that must be tested/replaced by a plumber with a 'G3 unvented hot water' qualification, which will be shown on their competent persons' scheme membership card.

Other valves, such as float valves in cisterns, might also be the cause but your observation that the hum stops after the tank has been heated for a short period makes these less likely candidates.

Thanks , sounds like I need to find a local plumber with the G3 qualification to check it out. Our current energy provider (SSE) did a boiler service as part of the heating/boiler cover we took out, but I don't think they did anything with the Megaflow other than to check it is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Megaflow always on question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock