1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Dismiss Notice

Couple of important things to note. 1. We use Cookies, deal with it. Every website does. 2. Nobody but a currently-registered Gas Engineer should be touching gas or gas appliances. Don't mess with gas at all. 

Discuss Metering an oil boiler which serves more than one property in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

  1. Ian79

    Ian79 New Member

    I own a property which has two semi detached cottages. The cottages were formally holiday cottages therefore there is one oil boiler serving my house and the two cottages. The cottages are now rented on long term residential lets. Is there any way of metering the amount of fuel each property is using without fitting a new boiler to each cottage?
  2. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    you can use something like a heat meter and then charge them a fixed fee per unit

    or better i would say split the cost per year of oil in 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ian79

    Ian79 New Member

    I current split it three ways however one of the cottages is rented by an elderly lady who has the heating on full all the time which is costing the other tenant and I a fortune. Can you recommend a good reliable heat meter?
  4. SimonG

    SimonG Plumber

    Welcome to the forum

    Def the heat meters.

    Can't see just splitting the bill 3 ways going down well. Arguments around "well I only use the heating for 10 minutes a week"

    Longer term plan should be to split out and run individual boilers and tanks. Just concerns me you have all your eggs in one basket from a reliability perspective.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SimonG

    SimonG Plumber

  6. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    your best course of action is seak the services of a local heating engy (he may use a brand he knows and trusts ) we all have our different likes and dislikes
  7. Ian79

    Ian79 New Member

    Thanks, and yes long term I will look to install individual boilers however I'm just looking for a short term solution.

    Can you recommend a reliable heat meter?

  8. SimonG

    SimonG Plumber

    The ista ones are the ones I've dealt with. But as Shaun says get a local guy in who will have his favourite brand and be familiar with it.
  9. Reg Man

    Reg Man Trusted Plumber GSR

    Braun HZ5 Oil flow meter? may be the way forward. X3 is quite expensive but could get you out of a spot.
  10. lame plumber

    lame plumber Plumber GSR

    oil flow meter isn't appropriate in this situation as only one boiler! so heat meter, what ever that is may work :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Reg Man

    Reg Man Trusted Plumber GSR

    Dull moment for Mr Reg Man.
  12. aqua.heat

    aqua.heat GSR

    I have assumed pipework is 22mm into properties but you may have to look at others should it be 15mm or 28mm.

    I have popped these on here in order of reliability, quality and the order that I would choose. It just happens that they are in price order too.

    Kamstrup are the dogs danglies of heat meters and I have always fitted these to commercial applications. This would suit your needs:

    Kamstrup Multical 403

    Ista are mid level but decent quality and reliable:

    Ista Ultego III

    Sontex I have never used so could not comment on there build quality or reliability but others may have but this would suit you too:

    Sontex Superstatic 749

    Bare in mind that these things aren't cheap and you will be looking at probably at least a couple of grand including meters, fittings, setup and labour to fit these even on the cheapest option.