Search the forum,

Discuss Microbore and wider radiator advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help. I am about to order a much wider but thinner and lower modern radiator as I have a relatively thin hallway and it would look much better. I just realised that I have microbore and also full concrete floor which pipe goes into under skirting so I won’t be able to extend pipe under floor without crazy work. Can anyone suggest what parts I should order ready for a plumber to extend this to fit wider rad? Apparently the new radiator can be bought with a pair of angled valve/trv and says it comes with converters with 8mm 10mm or 15 mm so that seems ok. As per drawing I would probabaly either need 2 x 90 degree angles (valves of some sort?) or I could bend microbore 90 degrees twice, once for extending the pipe and one to fit into a valve at radiator end so would it be best to just use a piece of microbore and bend it twice, or should I buy a couple of ready made parts. Should I even use a wider pipe instead of 8mm copper which I have already some in my garage? By the way it’s the return pipe that will be increased in length as opposed to inflow pipe into the radiator, so would it even matter too much if bending extra pipes or buying 2 angled parts? What parts shall I buy to make it all work, as I would rather order all now from internet so I can get a plumber to come when he’s ready and not have him drive all around shops looking for parts that may be hard to buy or will end up looking bad in case he doesn’t have all correct parts with him. Thanks all for any help.

7A16A9B8-90A9-482E-B881-6EC1EE05CEF2.jpeg

Are you happy for the pipe to be run on the surface/ skirting ?

Not 100% happy, but 99% as will be much happier with this and a long wide modern radiator than it is now. I think it’s the only real option without going crazy on messy diy and costs so I think yes, I’m ok with over skirting, as would hardly be seen (once painted) and will under the radiator and people look from top down (unless you have another suggestion that won’t take up flooring and require major skirting or plastering mess). I also wish to make sure I get full heating from it hence coould do with help on best way to minimise flow problems and best connections for this job. Just trying to avoid a double visit by a plumber...

Last edited:
Looks like an easy job for a pro other than a new set of valves you shouldn't have to supply anything else

Thanks Shaun, I just I recall my last pro on a different radiator didn’t have 90 degree connections for microbore, (in fact nothing for microbore) so we ended up having run across town and he could only find some parts, so ended making weird bends and had to go out to buy connections, so would ordering a couple of these be the right parts to make life easier for a plumber and to do me a better job? Will these restrict flow/heat on microbore or just ask him to bend as needed? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01JOYFZS4

Doesn't sound like a pro to me 8 or 10mm is easy to get hold of either tube or fittings hell have a look at screwfix

Best to have a soldered elbow also looks like 10mm

I think Shaun means solder fittings bud you can get 10mm soft copper on a coil a 10m length get a pair of straight radiator valves to 10mm to . cheers kop

Screenshot_2018-01-28-19-46-38.png

you going to try and do it yourself?

Not myself, just get all possible parts myself so plumber doesn’t waste time faffing about finding parts or c9ming t9 look first then coming back :)

Wednesbury Wednesbury Microbore Copper Pipe Coil 8mm x 10m | Copper Pipe | NoLinkingToThis

either

Solder Ring Elbows 8mm x 8mm 2 Pack

or

Flomasta End Feed Elbows 8mm x 8mm 2 Pack

your choice i would get two packs of each just incase you can always take them back

I'm afraid with that style of radiator any visible microbore will stick out like a pretty girl with a couple of weeping sores on her face.

Go the extra and recess it behind the skirting and in the wall connecting directly into the rad as per your catalogue picture. Yes you or your tradesman will have to channel the wall but most of it will be covered by skirting with just a bit of finishing required for the risers.

If you have 8mm then yes extend in 8mm fittings and pipe think i would run the pipe in a small plastic trunking above the skirting and dont forget a couple of 10mm x 8mm or 15mm x 8mm reducers for the rad valves these would work well. Cheers kop

Screenshot_2018-01-29-00-11-11.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Microbore and wider radiator advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock