Search the forum,

Discuss Moving boiler and adding storage tanks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

edwincrozier

Given I've an old stone house that needs constant heat to drive the moisture out I'm planning on moving my oil burner out of the house to a shed to make room for two accumulator tanks in battery sequence to make up roughly 1000 liter's of hot water for constant trickle heating around the house 24*7 and having the boiler fire up once the heat of the two tanks is exhausted. I don't have the room for both the water storage and the boiler in the built in boiler/utility room. What I'm trying to figure out is how to tap this into the existing system and have it in a building 15 meters away from the dwelling house. Currently this is an open vented system with solar hot water and back boiler to copper cylinder).

Do I A) put the tanks in the boilers current location and have the heating circuit attached to them and the expansion and hot water tank tapped to these and two insulated and buried pipes running across my yard to the boiler or B) do I put the tanks with the boiler across the yard leaving more space in the house and run four pipes across the yard and figure out how to attach them at that side of the yard and then how would the expansion tank like the pipe work going underground before going to the attic? The simplest method I've come up with so far is leave the boiler in place but run two pipes from boiler to outhouse and have the tanks on there own then two pipes from the tanks to the radiator circuit.

Anyone any other ideas, tips or random diagrams that may help me out? The future plan is to replace the oil boiler with a pellet boiler so the ideal solution will have the boiler in the outhouse as pellet boilers are to much of a health risk to have in the dwelling house. By today's standards its probably not advised to have an oil boiler situated here either.

I've came up with one potential solution run four pipes to the shed but lower the floor until its lower than the pipe work effectively bring the boiler to a basement level - This seems like an awful lot of work so I'm hoping someone can provide the industries correct method of achieving a gravity feed to the open expansion tank.

Sounds like an involved job. I would get an Oftec engineer in to properly survey the situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moving boiler and adding storage tanks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Is it worth replacing a Potterton gold 9kw electric boiler with a hot water storage tank for a new Electric Combi Boiler ? Would there a reduction is electric consumption and therefore a saving ? Please advise
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Can somebody tell me if a standard heat source pump installation uses a pressurized hot water tank? Or will the pressure for the hot water be the same as with my oil boiler and water storage tank (gravity-fed)?
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock