Search the forum,

Discuss moving / changing boiler - likely size of job? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dbrb2

Hi,
I'm part way through purchasing a small house that currently has an unvented cylinder/conventional boiler taking up slightly more than one of the alcoves beside a fireplace in the back bedroom.

I'd be interested in replacing this boiler/tank combo with a smaller Combi boiler, sans tank, somewhere else - probably the kitchen - to free up the space in the bedroom.

What kind of sized job is this likely to be before I start getting quotes in?

How far away is the kitchen from the bedroom where the boiler is located?
Where is the gas meter located from the new boiler location?

You should be able to pick up hot and cold water from somewhere in the kitchen, but the heating pipes will have to be extended.

At a guess, you would be looking at minimum 2 days for 2 guys to do the job.

Ok cool - that's the kind of timescales I'd expected, just glad there were no obvious caveats I'd missed.

The boiler now is at the top rear of the house proper on the right hand side, the kitchen is on the ground floor left hand side in an extension. I beleive there is gas, hot, and cold available at both locations. Possibly the boiler could go into the bathroom, which is slightly closer (above the kitchen)

So it sounds like the job is "a few" days work, plus of course the cost of the actual boiler

Hot and cold water is generally no great issue.

The main issues are the gas pipe, which has to be sized correctly for the boiler to operate to its requirements and the heating flow and return pipes.
The heating mains decrease in size from the boiler the further along the system they go. There could be a lot of re-doing the heating system with the boiler relocation.

As stated, minimum labour - 2 days for 2 guy's.
It may end up being double or triple that.

- Plus boiler & materials.

I'm assuming that your happy to go from a multi tap system to a single tap system? The hot water performance will be a lot less with the combi.

You will need a gas upgrade, but it should be a fairly straight forward job. Get quotes from 2-3 local engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to moving / changing boiler - likely size of job? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock