Search the forum,

Discuss moving mains cold feed pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm in the process of remodeling my kitchen.
At the moment the mains cold feed comes up through the floor and enters the house pretty much at the front of a cupboard so i want to reposition it somewhere that it wont be as much of an obstruction

DSC_1331.jpg

Id like to move this so that:
1: the stop valve is positioned in a different location
2. closer to the wall so that in the event it gets located in a cupboard it does not block access to stuff.

what would be the best way to re route the pipe and using what materials?

i.e plastic pipe/fittings, copper pipe and compression or solder fittings. Also would i want to avoid having too many joints?

p.s is it common practice to have the mains inlet on plastic pipe like this?

Thanks

I think that is 20mm?
It is common practice to use that because it is for underground. My region it has generally been 20 mm from road to house, but standard is 25mm more recent times
Unfortunately the only easy way would be 2 of 20mm plastic elbows. You can get them in push fit, or compression type. Use internal pipe supports obviously.
Then use a 20mm x 15mm brass stopcock.
Or if you wish to use your existing stopcock, use your 20 - 15mm connector to go back to 15mm.
Clip the copper pipe to support it all

I
Unfortunately the only easy way would be 2 of 20mm plastic elbows.

Thanks Best, Seems fairly easy to do then.
Have you used the word unfortunately because id have to add a few elbows in order to move things to where i want them.

guessing more joints means more possible points for something to go wrong?

I think it is both unfortunate that the mains pipe has been ducted below the concrete floor so far out from the wall and that you will need to use elbows.
But if you do it right, then the extra fittings won't give any trouble.

The reason the pipe is "so far out from the wall" is because it has been installed to regs. They state the pipe should enter 750mm below ground and 750mm in from the outside wall!
As there is about 180mm behind the plinth I would try taking off the stopcock and carefully bending the pipe back without kinking it, then use a piece of 15mm copper to bring it up where you want and re-install the existing stopcock. If you use a pipe bender there will be no more joints than there are now. If you do this, it is important to use a piece of pipe insulation or other flexible duct to protect the PE pipe as it comes out of the clay duct. Make the hole bigger in the bottom of the cupboard to give better access. Alternatively you could remove the existing Kuterlite 20mm to 15mm connector, cut the 20mm PE back and replace the Kuterlite. You will need a new 20mm copper insert and a new 20mm olive, or a completely new Kuterlite fitting. Then use copper pipe and elbows under the cupboard in order to place the stopcock where ever you want.

No need of the pipe being 750 mm from outside wall where it comes through final screed floor. That is just stupid, as it ruins the unit space. The silly 750mm rule doesn't apply if the pipe is insulated I think.
That blue mdpe pipe will not bend in such a very short distance and will just get damaged!! Needs a long length and plenty of space to do a swept bend on that type of pipe.
I wouldn't begin to attempt doing anything with that pipe, other than shorten it and then use an elbow.

Last edited:
No need of the pipe being 750 mm from outside wall where it comes through final screed floor. That is just stupid, as it ruins the unit space.
That blue mdpe pipe will not bend in such a very short distance and will just get damaged!! Needs a long length and plenty of space to do a swept bend on that type of pipe.
I wouldn't begin to attempt doing anything with that pipe, other than shorten it and then use an elbow.
I’d attempt but only if you wanna have fun but if so please record that for us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to moving mains cold feed pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock