Search the forum,

Discuss My first toilet fix and I have problems. Please help!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, hope you're well.

First of all I am trying desperately to fix the toilet myself. I have told the wife I can do it so my reputation as man is at stake...lol.

The truth is all was going fine until our ensuite toilet started leaking. So thought I would replace the everything as they were starting to make noises and leaking into the bowl anyway.

I bought at my local Homebase a Fluidmaster 400K and a Cable Dual Flush Valve combi kit.

I successfully added everything and thought I would mount the cistern in the bath and fill it just to be sure there were no leaks. Didn't want to reattach the cistern to the mains and wall only to find there were problems and I had to take it off again.

So mounted it securely in the bath and filled it with water. The inlet seems all ok, no leaks but for some reason the flush valve was leaking. Not much but leaking still.

I think it is because the bottom of my cistern is not perfectly flat like most seems to be. It has grooves that I think is causing a problem with the sealing washer.

So I thought about using a sealant on both the inlet valve, the flush valve and the old doughnut that I think is still ok. However on the box it specifically says 'Do not use plumbers putty with this producet'.

So my questions are what sealant can I use? Is a sealant the best idea? Is there anything else you can recommend I do?

Apologies for the wall of text but some help would be appreciated.

Just a good quality silicone will do.

I don’t like using silicone. It will work but the syphon and inlet valve should seal with out it really.

dow corning 785

ae235

Great%20Value%20Product_3

ae235

ae235

Fernox LS-X Leak Sealer 50ml

use this on flush valve an ball valve seals to tank an on doughnut washer , ur leaks will be gone

I only use CT-1 on loos now. Yes, you shouldn't need anything other than a washer but lets face it, in the real world you do! If you read the Prestex blurb they say put the compression fitting together dry!

Hi all, hope you're well.

First of all I am trying desperately to fix the toilet myself. I have told the wife I can do it so my reputation as man is at stake...lol.

What on earth were you thinking when you staked your manlihood on the repair of a leaking toilet?

You want to know whats going to happen now.... your wife will call a plumber and they will fix it in about 5 minutes.
For your sake, I hope the plumber that turns up has 21 digits!
If they only have 20, you will never live down the shame.

The dogbox for you Pal.

Carefully inspect the porcelain around the hole where the flush valve fits. Last time I had one like yours that kept leaking, there was a fine crack near the hole. The quality of some sanitary ware is quite poor these days.

ae235

Great%20Value%20Product_3

ae235

ae235

Fernox LS-X Leak Sealer 50ml

use this on flush valve an ball valve seals to tank an on doughnut washer , ur leaks will be gone

See above post for the correct thing to use.

Since you're doing this DIY and time isn't a big concern then any tube of sanitary silicone will work fine but you really need to leave it at least 15-20 mins to form a skin and ideally 60 mins plus to set a bit before it will help. LS-X will work straight from the off.

If you don't already have silcone and a gun it will be cheaper to just buy 1 tube of ls-x and use that

I'm a DIYr and have replaced a few toilets in past house but the thing that always gives me pain is the 'doughnut ring' in a close coupled unit. The one I remove is always soft and pliable but the new ones are hard rubber which never squish down in the required way. Am I buying the wrong item or do the hard ones soften up over time?

IF it's Armitage Shanks or Ideal Standard, they use a special design of doughnut that is quite soft and has a round cross section and will be different from most generic doughnuts.

IF it's Armitage Shanks or Ideal Standard, they use a special design of doughnut that is quite soft and has a round cross section and will be different from most generic doughnuts.
That could be why the ones I've bought don't work, I usually managed to renovate the old ones and used those. Thanks Ric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My first toilet fix and I have problems. Please help!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock