Search the forum,

Discuss Need advice please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AlexCare1995

Hello everyone,

I have signed up to the forum as I need advice from somebody.
I am 21 years old and I am due to get out of the military in April, I have been thinking
really hard and I have decided that I would like to get into a trade. I have narrowed it down
to becoming a plumber or an electrician and I am stuck on what to do.
I asked the same question on an electricians forum and I got good advice, they also told me to ask
on a plumbing forum to see what you guys thought also.
They pretty much pointed me in the direction of plumbing. I can do a gas course through my resettlement
and become gas qualified but I am not too sure if I would be daft in doing my gas before plumbing if I did go down the plumbing route.

Your guys thoughts on this and advice would be much appreciated thank you.

Kind regards,

Alex.

Welcome Alex, I think the consensus will be you can have all the qualifications you want but finding employment without site experience will be difficult and going self employed will be equally difficult, not impossible just difficult.
Good luck.

Indeed. Good luck. Do your research, I think most people would recommend some plumbing knowledge before venturing down the gas route. Speak to your local college as they will know the best route and may even be able to put you in touch with some potential trainers/employers

Hello everyone,

I have signed up to the forum as I need advice from somebody.
I am 21 years old and I am due to get out of the military in April, I have been thinking
really hard and I have decided that I would like to get into a trade. I have narrowed it down
to becoming a plumber or an electrician and I am stuck on what to do.
I asked the same question on an electricians forum and I got good advice, they also told me to ask
on a plumbing forum to see what you guys thought also.
They pretty much pointed me in the direction of plumbing. I can do a gas course through my resettlement
and become gas qualified but I am not too sure if I would be daft in doing my gas before plumbing if I did go down the plumbing route.

Your guys thoughts on this and advice would be much appreciated thank you.

Kind regards,

Alex.

Hello Alex, Have a look at being a heating engineer. Best of both worlds then, Electrics, electronics, combustion ( different fuels), plumbing, warm air........It's the biggest subject I know.

As above though, job first if poss, no point spending big bucks on qualifications. Just because you're qualified doesn't mean you're going to get a job. Trades are always difficult to enter unless you do it as an apprentice. Long and Slow process.

Great advice above Alex, in a nutshell , you come out qualified but cant get a job, because you have little work experience.
The only other way is go straight in to self employment, but looking at your age and experience you would struggle .

Thank you for the advice everyone I really appreciate it! I have been doing research
on jobs in the local area etc and they are all asking for experience, the majority of them are
asking for post apprenticeships tradesmen so I will get in touch with college and see if they
Know anybody who could take me on etc as an apprentice.

I'm glad I asked because I didn't want to go spending lots of money on courses
for somebody to turn around and ask for somebody with experience etc.

Thanks again!

College is the way to go mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Need advice please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi guys I finished my gas course in September can anyone help me i need to do 2 install and services. Am living i ln leeds west yorkshire I do appreciated for any advices . MOD* Please use the forum PM Service to contact members! Thanks!
Replies
Views
Ahmad marian
A
After some advice please. Recently bought some shower panels to have installed. However the installers must have missed installing the waterproof trim I bought as didn't use it? How much of a problem is this? I was told by another installer that it should be used as external seals are no where...
Replies
Views
Hello, my name is Salvador. I work in the Metro Detroit area for non-profit agency that provides assistance to residents that are having trouble with their water bills. I am part of a team that goes into the home and figures out why water bills are so high. I am not a plumber by trade, but I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the industrial gas market. That ranges from installing cryogenic storage tanks, pumps and pipework to high pressure Hydrogen systems and bulk LNG. My work has...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock