Discuss New bathroom fitted - labour only, so why so much? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im just starting off in the trade, and try to aim for a "Ton-a-day". However, I am relatively inexperienced, and so I may take longer or do a lesser quality job that a top tradesman. I have very few living expenses as I moved back in with the folks, so no mortgage or bills as such.
It seems a tad expensive to me, but if the guy was good then it was surely money well spent.
Again, you should have gotten a quotation, or at least a ball park estimate before work was started.

My only gripe would be that he left the job half way through to do another one.

ton a day you be lucky mate and relatively inexperienced,am gsr and dont get that unless its a boiler swap in 2 days

Last edited by a moderator:
to be honest with you mate-not being rude in anyway- he must of known by doing his inspection what the job encountered, so not being rude or anything times have changed from when you could have a bathroom fitted for £1000, next time have a couple of quotes done from 2 or 3 fitters then you will get a better understanding of the job and what work it involves, everyones bathroom is different.

and if you've used the guy before, you should be aware of his charges by now.

As Puddle says, sit down with the guy and talk it over peacefully. Remember the guy was recommended to you so he will want his reputation to stay intact and for you to pass his name on.

old adage always get three quotes,i dont think thats dear ,its the going rate for a quailified ,apprentence trained,insured ,legit
plumber who,s come recommended.i hate doing bathrooms because they tie me up to long,so i ,m expensive,so if i get them they are well worth doing,we do a lot,all recommends,but give me heating,boiler breakdowns,i love them:D

Thanks for the input everyone...what I have learnt from this is, no matter what else - I should have got quotes instead of me presuming he would be on similar lines cost wise as to previous jobs he has done for us. Talking of previous jobs, in late 2009/2010 he fitted a four piece bathroom for us...more than twice the floor size, probably 4x the amount of tiling, fitted a jacuzzi bath at the opposite end of the room and supplied and fitted electric underfloor heating for just over £2000. I just presumed that looking at the different sizes of room, and what I considered less owrk to do, the cost would be around £1500-£1800 total.

I will definalty be sitting down with him and try to sort out amicably as we have 2 more bathrooms and a kitchen to do in the near future.

To clarify a few points...I have paid for the following:
the 3 pc bathroom
all tiles
grout
bathroom cupboards
radiator
all electrical

Plumber has supplied:
Labour
pan con
iso's
traps
wastes
copper tube
waste pipe
tap connectors
flexi's
screws
timber
sealant

geez, how many bathrooms do you have, is it a hotel?.

i can find polish plumber for £50 a day, but the work not too good.
you get what you pay for and if its good then its worth it.

prices and costs of running a legit business have gone up since 2009.
the work depends on what type of materials are used too. i did a bathroom in tarrazo? 2x2 tiles not long back and took 2 days just cutting them (£25 a tile so no mistakes), the 9x9 b'room cost £5k labour.
there is also a possibility that the last job he did you was at cost just to keep busy.

finely, chelsea prices are high?.

Good point redsaw, my prices fluctuate depending on how busy I am. Currently charging top end due to amount of work on.

Problem all sorted. We sat down with plumber and asked for an itemised bill, which he brought with him.

Eventually, he admitted he had made an error in the billing and agreed to pay him £1800...alot better than £2940!!

A lesson learned...I will be asking for quotes!

Thats one hell of an error! I must get a calculator like his for my invoices!

There are some honest plumbers out there then!!:innocent:

Wow he would have maybe looked better if he'd have stuck to 2800! what a mistake to make!

Great saving but he won't want do any work for you - even if things are meant to be under guarantee!!

Problem is there is no agreed average national price for anything. Business in the UK is primitive, its beware or the sharks will get you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New bathroom fitted - labour only, so why so much? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock