Search the forum,

Discuss New Boiler install - holes left in brick work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
Questions about finishing.
Mother-in-law, in late 60's had a new boiler fitted replacing 1970's one.
generally seems a good install, but where old boiler fle existed at knee height there is now a big hole, with the condensate pipe running through it balanced on a few bricks. Also there was a metal vent high up, (previously air into old boiler?) which the new flu runs out of.
see attached photos.
when i had a very brief call to plumber he said wasn't in his quote and we needed to get a builder in to brick up both holes.
1) is this normal - not making good after a new install. (would you not even mention it?
2) is it actually against the regs as couldn't the flu gases come straight back into the house?
Thoughts and comments please.

Flu in.JPG

flu out.JPG

old flu in.JPG

old flu out.JPG

no defo not right and its upto him to sort as atm the boiler is dangerous as in point 2

No this is not the norm in fact it is dangerous this needs making good asap. You will recieve a card in with your gas safe certificate when it arrives if you tick the box on this card you are entitled to a free vist by gas safe to check the install i think this installer needs a wake up call tick that box and send it back they will vist the property and go through the install with fine tooth comb , the pipework needs insulating aswell. Cheers kop

Is the boiler actually up and running and been commissioned? Because no GSR would turn it on left in that state, It is dangerous and needs bricking up before it can be used. They should have left the gas and electric to it isolated and an uncommissioned notice placed on it until the brickwork has been finished. If it is turned on and in use then turn it off immediately & phone Gas safe up. They will inspect it for free and any faults will be reported back to your engineer who must rectify all or face loosing his licence. But phone the engineer back and give them a chance to sort it out saying that you will be talking to Gas Safe if they do not sort it out. You have paid for a new boiler install and that includes any makin good unless they mentioned beforehand that you need to get in a bricky at extra cost before they can commission it and turn it on.

Seriously! Give gas safe a call. This clown needs a kick up the a****. No wonder the industry has a reputation if people like that are on the register.

It is immediately dangerous and needs turning off until that upper hole is bricked up. It’s totally shocking.

I’d say if this isn’t a joke then report it. Boiler cannot be commissioned

hi.
thanks for replies.
the holes are currently covered by chip board - the kitchen fitter there at the moment felt sorry for us and did it.
The plumber said he was on holiday, but would come round to discuss the issues later this week. (i had a list of 10 things i want to go through with him!)

Can i ask a few more questions:
A) well can you confirm the hot water expansion tank also needs securely attaching to something and in the correct orientation? (the walls around tank are plasterboard, but i guess a frame could be made to fix it to?)
B) is insulating the pipes good practice or part of the regs?
C) i've already been emailed the gas safety cert and building regs compliance docs (from vaillant), so there wasn't a card asking for an inspection. what's the easiest way of getting someone to come out?
D) is it bad that some of the solder joints seem to have the flux left around them - some are turning the pipe work green already. from a basic point of view it doesn't look nice and anything touching it will get dirty.

I've ask him to visit to discuss how to remedy all these issues and i'll go from there - I'm hoping he'll sort the free of charge.

Flux residue.JPG

hot water tank.JPG

Correct and if on plaster board walls it needs a piece of 18mm chipboard between the timbers

External/ cold spots yes but unless it stays down most don't

Phone gas safe up and explain you've had a new boiler fitted and your not happy with the installer as he's left a big hole round the flue etc

Yes and no most don't wipe the joints after soldering warm water and a cloth or sotch bright pad and your golden (cloth will be ready for the bin afterwards)

Just wow. Where did he park his horse.
A. Yes
B. Yes and regs if he’s qualified as a G3 installer he should know that.
C. Call Gas Safe - tel:0800 408 5500
D. Joints should be wiped clean yes

Do you have a Building Regulations Notice for the cylinder? You should have. This person is part of the Vaillant installer scheme that is why the notice came that way. That doesn't preclude you from calling gas safe to inspect or the installer from having to comply with the Regulations. You may also want to look at the terms of the warranty. Ignore our advise at your peril because that's how these cowboys continue to operate and rip off people like you. You and your mum are the only person that can get this person either to comply or get off the register. Call gas safe please for all of us. Pretty please.....

Unbelievable your mothering law has been let down badly , as the guys have said contact gas safe this job needs attention immediately the list of faults is growing. Kop

Is this individual a building site plumber by any chance?
They do tend to leave things to 'others' such as the bricky, the spark, the labourer. Not that I am defending this workmanship, it is horrendous and irritates the hell out of me because these are the type of brain donors we all lose out to when pricing a job.

Just out of interest, how much did you pay for this?

Rich, if the guy had no intention of bricking up these holes and making good afterwards, this should have been made 100% clear to your m-i-l from the off and be noted on his quote or else the guy is seriously remiss.

If he hasn't, I would say that he is responsible for this and I think he could even be 'obliged' to cover the cost.

When someone gets a quote for such a major job, they expect it completed and ready for use - unless agreed beforehand. So unless he made it clear that he wouldn't be doing the 'making good', I suspect he is legally liable; as the folks above have explained, this install is not ready for use until these holes are blocked as it's potentially dangerous.

So, even if his quote or explanation for the job did mention "sealing and making good around the flue and condensate pipe etc to be completed by others" the guy should have left the boiler capped off/disabled and informed you he'd be back after this work had been done.

If your m-i-l wants to sharpen this guy's responses, perhaps she could leave him a message saying "I've had awful headaches since the boiler has been fitted and am feeling a wee bit sleepy... I've been told I should call someone called Mr Gus Safe..."

Hello.
thanks for all comments.
the plumber came back without any hesitation to fix most things i'd asked for (including, mounting expansion tank and insulating pipes, etc).
He didn't brick up the holes though. However after another phone call he has agreed to brick it up (hopefully it'll be a decent job)
He hasn't put his final bill in and he actually offered to subtract ~ÂŁ200 until the brick work was done.
I have to say i was very close to asking him to do it once and then just phoning gas safe.
For those interested the total will be ~ÂŁ7,800, which includes fitting the boiler for a 19 radiator system, converting hot water and central heating systems to pressurised systems (both previously open vented). the hot water cylinder has changed from a 120ltr to a 250ltr and he reinforced the floor (though i supplied the 18mm ply). The cylinder is also connected to economy severn and the whole system is controlled with a nest controller.
I got the impression he is reasonably competent and hard working, but it took him about 15-18days, with a lot of 5 or 6 hr days - guessing he was going to break downs / higher paid small jobs.

All new pipework rads etc ?

If no way way way too much

Glad your getting it sorted Ritch but as said before get it checked by gas safe it costs nothing and you will have piece of mind that it is to a acceptable safe standard , you have been charged top money and treated very poorly any more pictures? there is no excuse for leaving a dangerous lnstall we all get busy and over commit but you start a job like yours you finish it to a acceptable safe standard clean it commission it and compleate the benchmark and the warranties, you may have to return and finish off small making good imperfections and clear up but no more than that. Regards Kop

Hello.
thanks for all comments.
the plumber came back without any hesitation to fix most things i'd asked for (including, mounting expansion tank and insulating pipes, etc).
He didn't brick up the holes though. However after another phone call he has agreed to brick it up (hopefully it'll be a decent job)
He hasn't put his final bill in and he actually offered to subtract ~ÂŁ200 until the brick work was done.
I have to say i was very close to asking him to do it once and then just phoning gas safe.
For those interested the total will be ~ÂŁ7,800, which includes fitting the boiler for a 19 radiator system, converting hot water and central heating systems to pressurised systems (both previously open vented). the hot water cylinder has changed from a 120ltr to a 250ltr and he reinforced the floor (though i supplied the 18mm ply). The cylinder is also connected to economy severn and the whole system is controlled with a nest controller.
I got the impression he is reasonably competent and hard working, but it took him about 15-18days, with a lot of 5 or 6 hr days - guessing he was going to break downs / higher paid small jobs.
Where the 19 rads changed also?

Is this individual a building site plumber by any chance?
They do tend to leave things to 'others' such as the bricky, the spark, the labourer. Not that I am defending this workmanship, it is horrendous and irritates the hell out of me because these are the type of brain donors we all lose out to when pricing a job.
leaving to others is one thing but commisioning and certificating before that is done is real bad, especially when there are no 'others' on site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Boiler install - holes left in brick work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig cupboard & a megaflo (no tank in loft). However the exisiting boiler is Vaillant ecoTEC 4xx boiler - which is satated by vaillant as an "open vent" boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I currently have an external water meter (which is a sub-meter) of my neighbours meter. The mains supply runs into their garden and then splits off into my sub-meter. We are planning on building an extension near to the existing external sub-meter and I have sought advice from Yorkshire...
Replies
Views
I recently had a new 2023 Vaillant ecoTec plus 630 (30kW) system boiler installed along with a Low Loss Header (LLH) in my house. I have 21 rads in the house and a room with UFH. The LLH was introduced as I was finding (before the LLH was fitted) that my old boiler (Vaillant heat-only boiler)...
Replies
Views
A
Previously had a WB Greenstar R28 HE System boiler with 4 pipes and vented (gravity fed) cylinder. No valves or pumps outside of the boiler. Worked fine for 20 years. Decided to change to Viessmann 050-W System boiler when WB failed but keep the same set up with cylinder. Gas Safe installer I...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
J
Hi - I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I'm looking for some advice with regards to a recent (nightmare) new gas boiler install. Our old gas combi boiler needed replacing, so we shopped around and got a deal via BOXT. Our understanding is that BOXT then sub-contract to local...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock