Search the forum,
  • Thread starter CanadianBacon
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 1K

Discuss New Canadian Pipefitter.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CanadianBacon

Hi guys

Just joining your forum. I've recently moved to London from Canada and I'm trying to get into plumbing. I'm a certified pipefitter in Canada and trying to find a way to make a living in the UK...

I've been looking at different ways to complete the City and Guilds tests as well as the NVQs. I requested info from one training center and they sent a guy to my house this morning for an 'interview'... I'm not sure if was a scam or what but the man was saying that they do training online to help you pass the C&G and get your NVQ. The school also owns it's own contracting business, but I couldn't find anything about either the school or the business online. Do you guys think this is real?

Anyways, appreciate any feedback, and if anyone has any advice on where to get started, please let me know! I'd be happy to meet anyone for a beer as well if they'd let me pick their brain.

Welcome, can you put a link to the training centre?

Hopefully someone from that end of the country will be along soon and be able to give you some advice.

Yeah, I actually found some reviews about it, nothing strongly negative or positive. I don't think it's worth the ÂŁ7k though for training. If I'm already certified in Canada, a first world, commonwealth country, there should be an easier way to get accredited in the UK.

I totally agree, and yes 7000 is a lot of money.

Little search box in top right hand corner will hopefully lead you to old posts on this company, just don`t spend too long looking for a good feedback is all I`ll say.

PS, Welcome to the UK and our forums.

Welcome! Where in Canada are you from?

I was living in Edmonton before I came here, did the majority of my pipefitting work in Nisku, just south of the city...

Welcome to the forum! That's a fair life change that. You've got balls.

Personally I don't think I'd put my career on the line for a website, that costs 7k to join!

Have a look for an actual course that's offline. And travel a bit if you need to.

Have a word with www.AbleSkills.Co.uk and others like them.

Thanks, there is some good information there. I was hoping that there would be a way I could study at home and just challenge the C&G exams, but it doesn't quite seem possible. The home study option on AbleSkills.co.uk is still ÂŁ2500, yikes!!

Is there not some regulatory authority that you can speak to regarding your existing licence and what you would have to do to have your credentials transferred?

Reactions: rpm
Yeah, there is something called NARIC in the UK that does a statement of comparability. I'm just waiting to hear back from them. I submitted a copy of my certificate but they asked for a transcript as well. So when I get that submitted, hopefully they will approve me to get a plumber or pipefitter JIB card which should help my cause to get employed over here.

Do you know of any other resources for immigrating tradespeople?

There must be some Governing Authority regarding Plumbing.

They must have some sort of cross referencing to match your existing skills with something comparable in the UK.

Your experience and qualifications must account for something.

Honestly, from what I understand, you can get a Plumbing Licence for doing a 6 week course over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Canadian Pipefitter.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH. I've got quite good at it over the years being able to recognise the manifold brand and generation by just looking at it but then I have to go through...
Replies
Views
Ive got a new replacement boiler to install and the Energy Saving Trust whole house boiler sizing is no longer being allowed to be used to correctly size new boilers. Apparently there is an app you can use for room by room calculation anyone with a link. I've looked online and keep just...
Replies
Views
W
Hi all, I've got a bit of a strange issue relating to my Ideal Logic Combi 35 which has recently started displaying a F2 error when trying to use the central heating system. The boiler works fine when using hot water, however when I try to turn on the central heating system the boiler works...
Replies
Views
Williams25
W
Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the central heating but not for hot water and sometimes the other way round, so it's probably just luck as to when it does decide to work[?]. When there's...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock