Search the forum,

Discuss New combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thegoodguy

Hi,

I have a Glow-worm 30CXI combi condensing boiler that has come to the end of it's life. It's heavily corroded, leaking and needs replacing. It's sooner than I had hoped (the boiler is 12 years old), but hey.

I'd like to canvas opinion out as which boiler I should go for.

I have a three bedroom house with an extension. One shower, two basins, one kitchen sink and a central heating system with seven radiators.

Many thanks in advance.

I'm guessing replacement will be relatively straight forward. So installations cost shouldn't be vast. On that basis I was thinking £1500-£1700 all in. Is that reasonable?

I would imagine you will get a midrange boiler for that price to be honest
Do your heating controls need upgading?

I would imagine you will get a midrange boiler for that price to be honest
Do your heating controls need upgading?

You'd be far better off getting a few quotes then coming back to us for advice, to be honest.

If you try to supply the boiler and fittings,

A. You're responsible for any warranty work.
B. Any missing fixtures and fittings you will be billed for time while it's sorted.

What may initially seem cheaper could become rapidly more expensive than a supply and fit. Each gsr has his or her own preferred make of boiler, listen to them because they would more than likely be maintaining it for you.

Honestly, I was not looking to supply parts or look for something on the cheap. I just thought I might get impartial advice on what best to have fitted so as not to have a boiler that lets me down in a relatively short time.

scott_d, I'm pretty sure my boiler controls are good. I've had a Sunvic RF thermostat for about five years now. It works perfectly.

Honestly, I was not looking to supply parts or look for something on the cheap. I just thought I might get impartial advice on what best to have fitted so as not to have a boiler that lets me down in a relatively short time.

scott_d, I'm pretty sure my boiler controls are good. I've had a Sunvic RF thermostat for about five years now. It works perfectly.

Don't get glow worm, vaillant or Ferroli.

You may need to install new thermostatic radiator valves aswell if you don't already have them. And a power flush prior to the new boiler is advisable with a magnetic filter fitting on the return pipe before the boiler. As Croppie suggests get a few quotes and come back to us for our opinion on the quotes. My personal preference is a Worcester Bosch but we all have our own personal preferences.

Thank you croppie, Darren. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Things to avoid and things worthy of attention.

Darren, I will do the additional work you suggest. Thanks.

Thank you croppie, Darren. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Things to avoid and things worthy of attention.

Darren, I will do the additional work you suggest. Thanks.

some of the manufacturers are now recommending an air separator is installed as well

Can't remember it's is my young pandawan who tells me theses things, but the school of thought is the air separator is better for the system than the filter as no air then no corrosion, the filter should then just can solids rather than magnetite

Can't remember it's is my young pandawan who tells me theses things, but the school of thought is the air separator is better for the system than the filter as no air then no corrosion, the filter should then just can solids rather than magnetite

slightly wrong but only fit air sep on new install where theres no leaks/ air being pulled in

also theres the argument of more things to go wrong

Croppie may I ask ask why not a vaillant or glow worm?? I get ferroli lol but what's your opinion on them?? I don't think you can beat vaillant personally

they steal customers / lie to them

they steal customers / lie to them

Precisely that. There's a couple of threads running in Facebook gas groups at the moment where a Vaillant rep is maligning a boiler from another manufacturer but got sussed out. That's without going into the F75 debacle which turned out to be a design error which you need to pay big bucks for the modification kit.

Baxi Duotec or Platinum,these are all i fit,have very little call backs and would have one in my own home

I generally go Vaillant or Baxi and must say I've had fewer problems with the baxis.

Precisely that. There's a couple of threads running in Facebook gas groups at the moment where a Vaillant rep is maligning a boiler from another manufacturer but got sussed out. That's without going into the F75 debacle which turned out to be a design error which you need to pay big bucks for the modification kit.

Whats this with f75 I've always put that down to muck in system/low water pressure sensor or pump failure? So your saying its a there error not those

I have no problem fitting a valliant good boilers if that's what the customer wants the updated range is a bit expensive though if you want top quality fit worcester bosch , the most important thing is have your new boiler fitted by a recomended local installer who will look after you and your boiler long after its fitting .

At the end of the day its your choice, look at length of warranty & after care, each make has its own little niggles but overall they are much the same, think about water flow rate, price will also depend on where you are.

Hi all,

It's coming closer to the time to choose and I haven't visited this thread for a while (I stopped receiving notifications of new posts).

Thank you for all your input and info.

I'm certainly not going for a Glow-worm. My existing one has given me trouble from year-2, and I didn't skimp when I plumped for it back then. It has constantly leaked and caused corrosion. British Gas have attended to the problem after a fashion. They never really targeted the root of the problem (what ever that may be) and so never really solved it. Now it's beyond hope.

It looks like Worcester, Vaillant and Baxi are the contenders. Vaillant have ethics issues, so I may avoid their boilers.

Cheers.

Baxi platinum will be on budget I would say , worcester if you go that way will be a bit more stick with greenstar classic the more compact boilers are a pig to work on your choice at the end of the day bud Regards k

I'd go for the Platinum personally. Not the quietest of boilers but as good a warranty as you'll get anywhere, very reliable & very good value.
Vaillant & Worcester both good but overpriced, very overpriced in Worcester's case.

HI,

Thanks jtsplumbing for your advice on flow rate. I'm happy with the flow rate of my existing 30CXI, so campared the flow rates of the contenders to this

Thanks, Ray, for the link to the survey. It was helpful. The location of the survey seems to changed. This is the latest link: Findings from the National domestic gas boiler survey 2017 / Trade Only Plumbing | Trade Only Plumbing & Heating Supplies

From all the advice above, I narrowed my choices to the following:

Vaillant ecoTEC pro 30
Vaillant ecoTEC plus 832
Bosch Greenstar 29CDi Classic
Baxi Platinum Combi ErP 28kw
Baxi Platinum Combi ErP 33kw

I think, seeing as there were several positive mentions of Baxi above, I will probably go for the larger Baxi (flow-rate of the smaller Baxi is a shade below what I have currently)

I have been asked by the installer to supply the boiler. So it's price hunting time.

Many thanks to all for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
M
I am currently in the middle of a complete rennovation of my house and need some advice on what kind of boiler to get. The house will have 4 bathrooms in total. One on the ground floor (shower), two on the 1st floor (en suite has a shower and family bathroom has a bathtub and seperate shower)...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
I have a "Firebird Envirogreen Condensing Combi Oil Boiler 26kW" a part has went and I can't find it anywhere, I was at every plumbers merchant near me but they all need to ring Firebird who are closed till next week. I wonder if anyone can help me find this part please? It's a pressure sensor...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock