Search the forum,

Discuss New member, can someone help check quality of this boiler install? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
An in Camberley, Surrey area. Gas Safe will inspect 5-10 days then decide what I can do to get it commissioned.

The bigger footprint is apparently when a thermostat failed(pre having the reset) and was forcing boiling water out of the vent pipe, the CWSC was not fully supported and distorted and the scalding water came through the ceiling and a baby was in a cot directly below and tragically died of injuries sustained. It looks like the feed in CWSC is the same side as the draw off(stagnation)
I was going more along the lines of undersized gas to boiler :)

Yeh re running gas pipework,sizing it correctly from the meter,taking consideration of other gas appliances an the distance.Your original fella weren’t gas safe so I doubt this got considered,hopefully your new guy will make sure all is to MI’s

The bigger footprint is apparently when a thermostat failed(pre having the reset) and was forcing boiling water out of the vent pipe, the CWSC was not fully supported and distorted and the scalding water came through the ceiling

I've now found the 150mm in Document G of the building regs (though I still wonder whether extensive research resulted in the 150mm figure - or whether someone who wanted to cover his rear end thought 150mm sounded like a good figure).

In any case, while the F & E cistern in the photo is probably okay, it certainly isn't right in this respect. So I take back what I said in previous posts.

WRAS claims that at least 15mm thick marine ply should be used according to BS 4213:2004 (so my earlier comment that ply is probably a matter of opinion may, then, be wrong) but can anyone tell me the legal status of this BS? Document G refers back to it, but not specifically to the marine ply clause. Quite how marine ply is acceptable but T&G boards, or a steel plate, are not accepable, is beyond me. After all, if I put a cistern on a first floor floorboards or on a structural concrete hearth, I would not insist on marine ply between the cistern and floor level.

The irony is that floats for ballcocks on any cistern that has the potential to become warm must comply with BS 2456 (as stated in Water Regs - therefore compulsary), and neither Travis, Plumbfix, Graham, or Center seemed to stock compliant floats as a loose item. I had to order a box of them from an independent merchant in Lampeter. So to expect the average plumber's work to be 100% compliant in every respect is optimistic.

No one has mentioned the hot water tank, looks like the vent & shower outlet connections are wrong... the vent goes horizontal & downwards

The shower outlet has probs been used for the vent but is out of the picture!
You will probably find that is a Warix flange reverse of Surrey flange( maybe to get over copyright)

Very poor i would say incompetent and boarding dangerous , contact gas safe they have the power to take his registration away or procecute if he is not registered . all the best kop

Quite how marine ply is acceptable but T&G boards, or a steel plate, are not accepable, is beyond me.

One obvious reason is that the tank support needs to be a material that withstands water, either from small leaks or condensation. Marine ply is designed to survive wet conditions, T&G boards and 'steel plate' are not.

I intended a thick steel plate. It can be galvanised if you like, but my point was another: that to limit to a specific product is needlessly restrictive and that there are numerous materials that would suffice.

I take your point on T&G, if made from spruce. More likely to warp than marine ply too.

I intended a thick steel plate. It can be galvanised if you like, but my point was another: that to limit to a specific product is needlessly restrictive and that there are numerous materials that would suffice.

I've never seen a steel plate, galvanised or otherwise used in such a manner. Probably because it would cost more than marine ply and be a lot harder to cut and fix.

Anyway, a (the?) key thing about BS documents is that they are specific about materials and methods so that compliance can be verified easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New member, can someone help check quality of this boiler install? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock