Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss New shower bar & still drips!! in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Cymrukid

Cymrukid New Member

I installed a shower a few months back. The shower consisted of a thermostatic bar with an outlet at the top with a diverter valve for an overhead rain shower or handheld flexible cord shower head.
    After a few weeks the overhead shower started dripping, getting worse and worse, until in the end I would set the diverter valve to handheld shower and leave it in the bottom of the tray to drip quietly. It would also stop dripping if I tightened the shower on/off control (more than usual).
    I have changed cartridges before to stop leaks, but they are so expensive I thought I would save time and buy a new thermostatic shower bar.
    Having installed the new bar, the thing is still dripping. I cannot fathom out what must be wrong as surely the bar controls the flow of water and that has been replaced.
    Anyone have any suggestions please?

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

What brand is the mixer / bar as normally they leak after a while if there cheap?

3. Cymrukid

Cymrukid New Member

I didn't keep the box and can't honestly remember. Surely, if I changed the mixer bar a second one should leak/drip straightaway?

4. jtsplumbing

jtsplumbing Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

What is the water pressure like ?? could be to high, a lot of these showers don't like anything above 4bar.

5. Cymrukid

Cymrukid New Member

I wouldn't say our water pressure is high at all. I've seen much higher pressures in other places I have stayed. In fact, I had the water company out a few years back as I felt it was too low!

6. Allgoode

Allgoode GSR

Hi there,

Just a quick point regarding this issue.

Is there a combi boiler fitted in the property & if so is there a shock arrestor fitted to the boiler incoming cold water supply.

This item prevents/minimises water shocking to the system when for example a toilet cistern fill valve closes or a washing machine fill valve/solenoid shuts off supply which most people pick up as pipe knocking or hammer.

This may be the cause or as mentioned above there is a lot of poor quality item out there which initially are fine but soon deteriorate & seep/leak.

Finally a lot of shower mixer valves do not like a large pressure differential across both supplies which again can be minimised by having a pressure reducing valve fitted to the incoming mains.

Hope this helps,

Andy (Allgoode)

7. Plubber

Plubber New Member

Might be a poor quality item or there's an issue on valves

8. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Member

As already mentioned, large differential pressure oft causes this. Personally id fit a balancing valve in the supplies. HOWEVER there must be no more than a 5:1 in pressure diff for the valve to work.