Search the forum,

Discuss New water main insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi folks, just bought a old cottage and found out there is high level of hydrocarbon which from previous years has seeped its way through the alkethene.
So I am re routing the a new alkathene barrier pipe into another part of the cottage but I have a problem a bout a foot away from building where I'm planning to make the new entry of water pipe. Is quite shallow, depth roughly about 400mm then there's concrete is there any under ground insulation that is suitable for 25mm pipe?
I've searched everywhere but I can only found 28mm rubber pipe insulation which is slightly loose fit but if i wrap foil tape around both ends so moister can not get in should this be ok?
All experience is greatly appreciated!

Armaflex not cheap but it's very good

Pipelagging sells it

I've bought armaflex but in 28mm as they don't have it for 25mm alkathene. Would this be ok as long as I seal it tight fit with tape?

Yea will be fine

You bought the non slit version?

No they didn't have it so it's the slit version I have, but even if it was it would be slightly loose as it's 28mm diameter pipe insulation as they don't do 25mm for the alkathene

You could if you want to cut one side of the slit off by 3 mm to make it fit better

Won't Matter either way tho

Good idea I'll do that. I have some tin foil outside tape that goes over exterior pipe work. I could use that too? But I'll tape up the insulation at both ends so no moister can get in.

Sharp knife

And they do sell some stuff that will never come off, if your certain the silver tape won't come off use that

I've seen online armaflex that is 50mm wide that you can stick around the pipe 3mm thick then I could put the pipe insulation over that. Or just do what you recommend cut a 3mm slit then tape at both ends.

Would need to be 1.5mm thick unless your only putting it on one side

28x25x2m yes but your on about using the 3mm stuff first to get the dia upto 28mm arnt you ?

Yes was idea but I'll do what you said

Will increase the dia by 6mm so the new alk dia with the first packer insulation would be 31mm

.? Don't understand what you mean? I'll keep it simply I'll just use the 28mmx25mmx2m pipe insulation but I'll cut a slit off 3mm then wrap both ends tight with foil tape.

.? Don't understand what you mean? I'll keep it simply I'll just use the 28mmx25mmx2m pipe insulation but I'll cut a slit off 3mm then wrap both ends tight with foil tape.

I was on about the 50x3mm insulation strips

But yes cut 3mm of then tape the joints and the ends

This is where new pipe will enter building.there is a concrete I don't suppose if I broke it up it wouldn't have a impact on the building?

IMG_1956.JPG

Hammer drill action would break it it up so I could gain further access to the ground

Will be the footings hard but yes aslong as you re concrete it back

If you have to cut it cut it

What's the depth to the concrete?

From the top of the surface to the concrete it's about 350mm. It's a new part of the extension.

Needs to go lower only have one option mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New water main insulation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

C
We're having the loft converted at the front of our house, and the plumber has routed the new water and central heating pipes via the rafters in the back loft (which isn't being converted). He's wrapped some insulation (looks like TopSleeve) round them and assures me it'll be fine. I'm worried...
Replies
Views
Hi all Just had a new mains water pipe fitted and the hot water is very slow almost a trickle. We have a combi vaillant ecotec pro 824 and it seems to come out fast to begin with then slows down considerably. It seems the boiler is struggling to provide hot water at the adequate rate that it...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Good morning I installed a Harvey’s water softener recently. Have a semi detached property with 3 showers and a 2 toilets with a mega flow cylinder 25mm mains pipe work with 22mm onwards. I put the softener before the prv which was pre installed with the unvented cylinder as the rep said...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock