Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. Hi, welcome to the new look UKPlumbersForums.co.uk - Login with your usual login details, or sign up if you don't already have an account. If you post just once, all the advertisements get automatically removed. We have some competitions coming soon, and lots of new feaures. 

Discuss Newbie requesting help with a geberit flush valve in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Hornet99

Hornet99 New Member

Hi,

Looking for a bit of help with a geberit flush valve that has a slow leak. I'm pretty sure it just needs a new seal, but I can't for the life of me work out how to get the flush valve body off to look (and replace the seal). Photo below shows the valve body..
    20170813_161820.jpg

There are no tabs/clips to press in that release it. It would also appear that you need to rotate the body till the tabs line up and then you can pull it off, but because of the width of the cistern it won't rotate fully. Help!
    Cheers
    Bill.

2. Amateur

Amateur Member

Hi, You dont elaborate on how its leaking, have you checked the water level is not set too high and is trickling into the overflow and back into the pan? Sorry if that sounds patronising, sometimes the easy solutions are overlooked.

Cheers

3. JCplumb

JCplumb Plumber

Amateur has a fair point there. But if you do need to get at the seal and the cistern is too narrow for the valve to rotate and release then you'll have to take the cistern off and undo it from underneath.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Isn`t it only a 1/4 or 1/3rd turn?

5. Hornet99

Hornet99 New Member

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

Firstly the leak is just a trickle and it's definitely not the overflow height, that's fine.

Second, if it's only a 1/3 or 1/4 turn then I'll have a go at that. I did play around with various amounts and didn't quite find a point that it would release. I did find this image and was wondering if I needed to line up the "tabs" to release it and I can't get them to line up because I can't turn it sufficiently..
    $_1.JPG

6. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Common fault with gerberit flush valves the silicone rubber seal blisters and lets by , if it wont turn enough to remove it then the cistern will need to be removed for access to it cheers kop

7. Hornet99

Hornet99 New Member

Thanks.

That was where I was hoping this wouldn't go....!

8. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Thinking the tabs line up when it's in the fixed postion.
    See that cut out below the tab on the Base section that's the postion to twist the top section to.

9. Hornet99

Hornet99 New Member

Thanks, I'll try rotating it again and see if I can find a position it will release...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 1Steven

1Steven Plumber GSR

If you have to remove the cistern make sure you have a new doughnut!

11. Hornet99

Hornet99 New Member

If I have to remove the cistern I'm getting a professional involved! I'm far to ham fisted to do that much...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gasinspect

Gasinspect Member

Sometimes just a build up of gunge on the rubber, can try getting finger or but of cloth under and wiping it. Don't use those blue lumps of stuff that hang in the cistern, they ruin the seals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Hornet99

Hornet99 New Member

I've felt the seal and can feel that it's rough. Never use the stuff that stuff that turns the water blue..

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Hornet99

Hornet99 New Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for responding. The conclusion is that I need to remove the cistern, there's no way around it unfortunately...