Search the forum,

Discuss nightmare tap that just wont tighten up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi lads i have a few bathroom monoblock basin taps in my house that seem to be loose i tightened the nuts with box spanners and it still moves and it leaks any water that splashes around the bottom of the tap. the brass nut is as tight as it will get without breaking the sink. all three taps in my house are exactly the same they all have rust around the fixing plate? so im guessing they were never right to begin with. how would i go about fixing this annoying little problem thanks?
IMG_6875.JPG

Bolt also looks like it is made of steel and rusted.
Perhaps the nut has locked up on the threads before tap can be fully tight.
A new bolt and bracket fixing kit would be best way to solve it.
A lot of the monobloc mixers don't seal well to basins. It causes a lot of debate, but when installing new mixer, sometimes silicone on top of basin and tap properly centred on hole will seal it better. A smear of Vaseline on bolt would also help prevent rust, should any water get on it

thanks lads i think ill give the silicone a go, it seems to be tight enough but just rotates from side to side maybe it might hold better with some silicone. there doesnt seem to be a washer underneath the tap to stop it rotating. or i might just go buy three new brackets and fix them all. thanks for all your help.

Perhaps, I'd change the whole lot underneath if that's not possible due to rusting, and you cannot get it off , change the tap

thanks lads i think ill give the silicone a go, it seems to be tight enough but just rotates from side to side maybe it might hold better with some silicone. there doesnt seem to be a washer underneath the tap to stop it rotating. or i might just go buy three new brackets and fix them all. thanks for all your help.

A lot of the monobloc taps just have an O ring or flat washer which just fit into a groove in the tap base, so you wouldn't see a washer, even if one exists.

A lot of the monobloc taps just have an O ring or flat washer which just fit into a groove in the tap base, so you wouldn't see a washer, even if one exists.[/QUOT
A lot of the monobloc taps just have an O ring or flat washer which just fit into a groove in the tap base, so you wouldn't see a washer, even if one exists.
oh i see, so do those taps leak around the tap base often? my house is a new build im guessing they were never fully tightened to begin with?

Its vital when installing a tap that the washer at the base of the tap is perfectly dry. In addition, the basin must be perfectly dry too. I often use a hairdryer! Under NO circumstances use silicone. Why? Because it doesn't go off and will always allow some movement. When water gets to it, it cannot evaporate away so acts as a perm lubricant. Putting them together perfectly dry allows the rubber to grip and seal against the glaze.
HTH

Its vital when installing a tap that the washer at the base of the tap is perfectly dry. In addition, the basin must be perfectly dry too. I often use a hairdryer! Under NO circumstances use silicone. Why? Because it doesn't go off and will always allow some movement. When water gets to it, it cannot evaporate away so acts as a perm lubricant. Putting them together perfectly dry allows the rubber to grip and seal against the glaze.
HTH

I know what you mean about better to fit the taps as they come supplied, as it will be easier to install new and remove it in the future. But silicone sealant will harden no problem as air can still get to it. Many of the taps will not be a watertight seal onto basins, - some taps have O ring seal barely size of basin hole and some basins have uneven surface where tap meets it.
Silicone Grease is a different thing, and will only be okay if on the bolt thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to nightmare tap that just wont tighten up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This is going to sound stupid - but it is giving me problems. I have fitted new flexible tap hoses that each connects with a tap hose adaptor to give the recommended flat surface to connect to an isolator. All good except I cannot tighten the flexible hose hex nut without twisting the hose...
Replies
Views
Forgive my ignorance, with this basic question, but I seem to be struggling to both understand, search for, and source, the appropriate washer, o-ring or gland, for this type of tap. Maybe, no one ever replaces this type of washer/component? Background: I discovered a leak in the cupboard from...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to find matt black wall or deck mounted bath mixer taps with 3/4 fitting that work on 0.2 bar. From tank to tap, I have around 2.4 metres, so a pressure of a little over 0.2 bar. The flow measured from the tap currently fitted is 11 litres per minute. Pretty much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Desperately in need of help. Getting very annoyed with myself Replaced the click plug in my bathroom for a new Basin Slotted one along with the Thomas Dudley Basin Waste kit All relatively straightforward to put together but why is it still dripping I'm using the preexisting metal...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked very corroded around the tap handle. An Anglian Water engineer was at the property measuring my water pressure and flow rate. When he saw the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock