Search the forum,

Discuss No cold water in bathroom after changing toilet? Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dchurch15331

Hi I'm new to this and could do with some advice, I changed my toilet today after a crack formed in the old one . Done all the usual turned off the stopcock under sink in kitchen drained all the water off, however half way through me putting the new toilet in the water suddenly starting coming out of the feed for the toilet so I went to the stopcock in the loft where the cold water tank was shut that off everything seemed ok I'd just never had that happen to me before. Now I've put the toilet back on fine turned all the water back on kitchen taps fine but there's none in the bathroom just small bits every now and again? Tried holding a cloth over it to get rid of air if any? Still no good seems to me there's air trapped just can't work it out? Please if u can help post
Many thanks

Get a vet vac and suck it through. It's more that likely gona be a air lock

But check the valve you closed off in attic has deffo opened

You sure that's gnu work mate the mrs is worried as it is don't wan a break the Hoover
Just realised wet vac ? Will a hose pipe work ? Looking for an easy fix really haven't got a wet vac or a hose?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wet vac lol. Not a normal vac

Have you double checked all valves are fully open

A wet vac will cost you about £35 from b and q

Mate don't wan a buy a wetvac I'll only use it once, the valves are all on I'm getting some water there but it just stops after a few secs then nothing, the toilets not filling either it is but just driizlin so takes c1/2 hr plus anything else I cn try

Got a blockage in the pipe work from something on the bottom of the storage tank or your gate valve has seized. I'm assuming your bathroom is fed from the storage tank?

If it's a blockage, your pipe work will need flushed out . If it's the valve, best to save a possible flood if you've not done this before and get a plumber out.

Yes the valve was slightly stiff on the first turn but easy after that cant understand
Why the blockage has only just come about though I only changed the toilet is it because I shut off the tank now the rubbish sunk to the bottom? And what do I try first ?

Why do all these posts start 'I'm new to all this' Thats why theres plumbers. Having said that,

There is a chance the valve in the loft you've been playing with has snapped inside and will never open,

This is presuming that you've turned the cold water off leaving the tank.

If it is open it is an air lock. If you go down to the kitchen you can put your hand over the kitchen tap (spout) open the hot first then the cold do this for about 10 minutes and that will allow the cold mains to feed the rest of the house.

If this doesn't work connect up the cold on the washing machine connector to the hot washing machine connector turn them both on and for about 10 minutes this will clear the air lock.

Yes the valve was slightly stiff on the first turn but easy after that cant understand
Why the blockage has only just come about though I only changed the toilet is it because I shut off the tank now the **** sunk to the bottom? And what do I try first ?
If the valve was stiff at first it could have seized and opened only enough to allow some water through. If the handle is turning very freely, it won't open the valve. The water outlet in the tank will need to be bunged before removing/changing the valve.

Brave, I'd empty the tank, especially if someone doing a bit of DIY, wouldn't be the first time I've been called out to someone not bunging it tight enough cracking the valve and WHOOOOSH!

Did make me laugh though, I did say, bet you'd wished you'd called a plumber now!

Ok the stiff valve in the loft was the feed into the tank ? I know that's working because the tank is full and when the valve was turned I could clearly hear it filling v fast. So I it's not that right? I've just turned on the basin tap and is working v slowly drizzling in fact but constant that didn't happen earlier? The toilet is filling slow still what's the best thing to check first, tank because it was drained? Wet vac ? Stopcock ? And by the way secret squirrel I don't wish I got a plumber in otherwise I wouldn't of learned Anything would I?

No, you wouldn't have learnt anything but you would have your water service back wouldn't you!

And if you read my post there was a lot of useful information in there wasn't there?

If you read my post correctly about getting a plumber it refers to the post directly before referring to changing a valve and bunging the tank!

And if you've drained down the tank as everyone including myself has said its an airlock and if you read my post about how to clear the airlock they will work.

And if there is a small blockage thats in the pipe by back filling the system there is a change you'll dislodge the blockage and send it back into the tank.

So, if you do what everyone says on the posts and stop looking for an easier and easier way to solve the problem you'll suceed...... good luck

Have you closed any valves between the tank in attic and bathroom?

First off I admire those who are willing to give it a go with no real knowledge and experience in the subject. Honeslty, I do. But obviously you're not a plumber and so I would say this..

Try what's been said above by all means but sudden unstoppable gushing torrents are bad for houses.

Plumbers are relatively expensive, yes, but also, mostly, more contactable and reasonably priced on weekends than commonly believed. Valve or airlock - not a huge job. If you don't know of anyone or have any recommendations - look on checkatrade for local guys with lots of recent and relevant positive feedback and over the phone get a rough a idea of how much for someone to pop out on a sat pm and sort it. Don't presume it'll be hundreds - it really shouldn't be. I'm bored - I'd prob do it for £75 plus parts. But I've been drinking so can't.

Good luck!

Wow loving secret squirrel now that was straight talking stuff mate thanks:smiley2: Reallly wna solve this myself mate
Gnu give ita go

bit naughty but go to wickes, buy a wet vac, £39.99 I think, you then have 6 months to take it back and get a refund, best bet is to try and get it directlty onto pipe rather then onto tap.
They don't need any reason to take it back, 6 months money back guarantee.

my dad buys tools all the time if he only needs them once and takes it back after he has finnished with it.

The water you are sucking up will be clean water so should not do any damage at all to the hoover,

Throw a couple of asprins down the pan and leave it overnight. It might be better in the morning.

Thanks to everyone who replied , this morning I've got up early to solve this problem check all what's been spoke about. However I've tried the tap and guess what bit of air at first but hey presto it's working as normal! Yes:waving: so now my question is to
You lot what happened there then? Was going to change the basin today swell really
Not sure now maybe I just go for it as I obviously learned something squirrel? Try and you might succeed if not call a hugely expensive plumber, just joking thanks again everyone

Also what's the idea with the aspirins guys? How would that of worked

Throw a couple of asprins down the pan and leave it overnight. It might be better in the morning.

Tamz it actually was better in the morning, what I'm off to do today is get a couple of asprin for my toolbox.

However I've tried the tap and guess what bit of air at first but hey presto it's working as normal! Yes:waving: so now my question is to
You lot what happened there then?

It wasn't an air lock because you were getting some water out but there was air trapped in there. The water built up and forced the air out. Don't always work, infact usually doesn't. You got lucky. If you need to drain down to change basin as well you might have same prob and this time might need to do something to get rid.

Hopefully it's all gone wrong

If I could stop everyone on here helping you I would. Because the knowledge we have is very expensive. And I think it's about time you started to pay for it

You still have your air lock all it did was the little trickle built up over night but once you ran tap you used up the water that had built up over night you need to force the air out you have already been told how to do it

Thanks a lot Simon, def wouldn't employ you anyway if that's all you got a say don't post mate? System 3 bang on same thing again same thing yes I know how to force the air out just don't have a wet vac. Any forcing it from the kitchen tap hot first then cold dont seem to work as the pressure is really fast hopefully will all right itself again, thanks system 3

Not wet vac try again ps lose the attitude when asking for help

Doubt that will work. Because it is the cold that is not working. This will only fix the hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No cold water in bathroom after changing toilet? Help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock