Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Not enough space for bottle trap in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. C Mac

C Mac New Member

B3CB490D-7D33-4BB7-A65C-0A5B2610AC2B.jpeg F0DBD261-5746-49F3-AE54-285CD6A02038.jpeg 7A1C473F-81E2-4D0B-95D8-CA08C20DA1C3.jpeg I have had a new wall mounted basin fitted into a downstairs cloakroom. I had chosen an attractive chrome bottle trap and had hoped that all pipes would be concealed in the wall. However, as it is a solid brick wall the plumber said he was only able to conceal the mains pipes for taps in the wall and that there was no space for the waste pipe. So I agreed he could fit a visible chrome waste pipe flush to the wall. Pipes done, wall replasterer, tiled and basin fitted to wall. However, now he says that there isn’t enough room for the bottle trap and elbow join and can only suggest a flexible waste trap. Does anyone have ideas for a solution?
    Here’s some photos to illustrate problem...
    thanks in advance.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. quality

quality Plumber GSR

I rarely do sort this sort of work but there looks to be plenty of room for a bottle trap from that picture

• Like Like x 1
  3. C Mac

C Mac New Member

Thanks for reply. That’s what I thought. It’s the elbow it will need to join up with the vertical waste pipe which is the problem apparently.

4. brum

brum Plumber

I think that's too tight for a chrome bottle trap with trap at 90 degrees that's not really the best option you have taken really for a cloakroom basin...brum

5. brum

brum Plumber

It's too tight for the elbow connection to vertical pipe...brum

6. C Mac

C Mac New Member

5A45439F-F6AF-49A0-8556-0648890D014C.png Well yeah it was a compromise as I had originally wanted the waste pipe concealed in the wall.
    Any ideas for a solution. Is a flexible waste pipe the only option? There’s this chrome one that looks better than white. But won’t it need to fold to make a u shape anyway?

7. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

That's not forming a trap

8. C Mac

C Mac New Member

Yeah. This is just here temporarily as he couldn’t fit the bottle trap. I figured these have to make a u shape to form a trap. And then space would become a problem again.
    Any ideas/products for a solution?

9. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

Hepvo trap or pwdalstal trap
    Not chrome though

10. C Mac

C Mac New Member

Yeah but these are completely vertical yeah? The waste pipe is flush to the wall as it meets the floor. And the centre of the plug hole is 10 cm from the wall. So that would put the whole thing (trap and pipe) on a bit of an angle?
    I’m considering giving up and buying a pedestal to cover it all, but the basin has been fitted higher than the average pedestal!
    Nightmare!

11. sammathias

sammathias GSR

12. scott_d

scott_d Plumber GSR

You can use fittings to make up the gap
    Or a bottle trap and street elbow will be tight to the wall

13. sammathias

sammathias GSR

Plumber didn't really think that through did he.

14. C Mac

C Mac New Member

Yeah I think those s bends would still be too wide. But your link linked me to this? Could this work I wonder?
    Am doing Ha ha - no I don’t think he did!

4960E979-25D0-467D-B41B-B1163109E785.png

15. sammathias

sammathias GSR

I'd day if your wastepipe was off centre an inch or 2 then it would work. Does the wastepipe stick straight out of the floor...doesn't run horizontal?