Search the forum,

Discuss Oil boiler trying to fire up and grinding noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi guys went to replace a leaky oil flexi hose today which it beers leaking for some time.. So when I fired the boiler on it was if it was struggling to fire up and there was a grinding noise too. Would this be a new oil pump? I'll be doing my oftec at the end of this month. Cheers to all you oil wizards!

I would say pump or fan but not an oily

Depends on the actual noise. Could be fan interference with the casing. Could be bearings. Could be fuel pump.

Basically if it's moving then it can grind.

Best to rule out the obvious first. I.e. fan against casing, and then go from there.

Normally with experience you can tell just by the type of sound whether it is a motor bearing or a worn oil pump. (Fan will also make a grinding noise if fitted in wrong position too tight to something, or if imbalanced, by a dead mouse for example)
Bearings are by far the most common noise fault. The bearing close to oil pump (on typical direct connection double ended motor burners) is usually the first to be faulty, like Riellos etc.
Oil pump if noisy might show flickering on oil gauge, proving it is worn.
If in doubt, just remove oil pump and test run the burner for a few seconds and see if noise still there.

Thanks. When I connected the oil gauge it was flickering. When the boiler is turned on the initial start up before it fully kicks in. It’s doing this all the time so I couldn’t take a reading co2. But you can hear a grinding noise. What would you replace first??

Would I need a fan puller? How would I see if it’s the fan from the casing ?

Flickering pressure gauge and grinding noise, would generally show a failing pump.
But could also be air in the line, blocked fuel line, or blocked filter. Or lack of fuel.
Do you have a vacuum gauge?

Yes I do have a vaccum guage. But I've never used it before. Can you explain further on how to set it up and what would I be looking for?

The boiler does not go to lock out it just keeps on working trying to fire up the initial start up and continues doing this...

The boiler does not go to lock out it just keeps on working trying to fire up the initial start up and continues doing this...

Riello oil pumps can have their drive pin and first gear broken/worn and will slip and suddenly stop pumping oil. That is easy to check by opening the oil pump outer cover and then removing the inner gear cover (keeping gears pointing upwards or they will fall out rendering pump useless) and see if drive is broke.
You will need bearing pullers, small socket set (think 5.5mm socket for Riello motor bolts to get at bearings)
Fan puller advisable, but is possible to remove fans by turning them rather than pulling them, while stopping other end of motor turning.

If your Riello pump looks like this, then it is knackered.
image.jpeg

Photocell clean. Wow thank you for showing the inside of a broken oil pump. If I open it up and check if it is broken I'll just get a new one replaced. But your saying if the cogs are like this you can easily fix it as new again?

Photocell clean. Wow thank you for showing the inside of a broken oil pump. If I open it up and check if it is broken I'll just get a new one replaced. But your saying if the cogs are like this you can easily fix it as new again?

No, you can’t fix that Riello oil pump in photo. The drive pin is broken and the gear will have been cut into by the pin, hence why the pin is not inline with the cut outs in the first gear.
Some pumps can be occasionally repaired if their pin simply wears though, - like Danfoss.

What is bearing pullers any photo?

They just have 2 or 3 adjustable arms with bent ends that hook below the bearing and a threaded bolt in middle to screw downwards to force bearing up off. No point in spending too much on one, just get a basic one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil boiler trying to fire up and grinding noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock