Search the forum,

Discuss old gas main advice homeowner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
20170608_114530.jpg
20170608_114549.jpg

Hi guys can you take a look at this for me. I have an old gas main under my stairs which i assume is redundant. As i have a gas main that is feeding the property in my front room.

I want to cut the old redundant pipe off flush with the floor but am not sure if its still live and just capped off. Thanks for your advice.

20170608_114530.jpg

Looks disconnected but ring nation grid / your supplier listed on the meter but don't ring the emergency number

To confirm this, they may need to come out to check

Looks disconnected but ring nation grid / your supplier listed on the meter but don't ring the emergency number

To confirm this, they may need to come out to check

Thanks for your advice, ive opened the stopcock on the top and no gas. and also this would in theory be free gas so I carnt see them not disconnecting it :)

Or if you don't want to wait about 2 weeks for them to attend. Call a local engineer out to check but he will obviously charge you for his services.

is or was it capped off because even a dead main entry must be capped off

gas safety regs say it should be capped even though dead main and can only be cut off and removed if proven dead by national grid it may still be connected to a main but turned off outside in the ground, i would not cut if off until you have had it checked.

gas safety regs say it should be capped even though dead main and can only be cut off and removed if proven dead by national grid it may still be connected to a main but turned off outside in the ground, i would not cut if off until you have had it checked.

would checking outside involve them digging down to the pipe? sounds ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ. Might just decorate around it. :(

Will still need to be capped, even if its dead, chances are its been disconnected just outside the wall. A gas safe guy could break the floor out at the bottom of the upstand and see if they can trace it back to a joint.

so I phoned national grid or cadent as there called now and they had a bloke round in 30mins (I didn't phone the emergency number lol) and the bloke just looked at it and said cut it off!!! took my new meter details and give me a job number. so I guess i'll cut it off then :) thanks for your advice guys.

Yep normally down in there records what the did with the old supply

Yep normally down in there records what the did with the old supply

The plot thickens :( so I cut the bottom of the pipe and tried to bend the pipe down but it wouldn't budge so knocked abit of plaster off to see what was stopping it and found this!
20170608_165644[1].jpg

Its a tee going through the wall into the neigbours!!! was this the main gas pipe feeding both properties? the neigbours is redundant aswell they have a new supply coming in the front of the house the same as me.

what would you do with this? cut the tee flush with the wall? or leave it.

the national grid bloke never said out about it being joined to the neigbours old supply. :(

If your good friends with your neighbors go next door and cut it before the elbow, and then cut it your side below the t and pull it out and patch up afterwards

If your not test cut it as flush as you can your side

Then Carry on with your plan before

Or you could cut top and bottom then unscrew the tee. Then use some gas seal on the thread poking out the wall and use a cap. If that works.

Dont forget to use your earth continuity bonding leads..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to old gas main advice homeowner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock