Search the forum,

Discuss Old (solid fuel) back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTP

Hi, I've been asked to provide a quote for a customer who wants central heating. Currently the property has only a conventional coal fire with a back boiler. My plan is to install combi. So drain down the existing gravity feed direct hot water system and remove the hot water cylinder. The customer may want to retain the coal fire. My question - can I safely leave the back boiler in situ? I.e. Behind the coal fire.

I dilthered a bit on a reply because I see loads of boilers left behind open fires that have a fire occasionly in them. Never seen a problem happening if the boiler is fully drained (normally a hole with steel drill bit drilled near bottom of fire boiler to drain it). But you risk a slight chance of fumes passing through, or something catching fire.

Last edited:
I dilthered a bit on a reply because I see loads of boilers left behind open fires that have a fire occasionly in them. Never seen a problem happening if the boiler is fully drained (normally a hole with steel drill bit drilled near bottom of fire boiler to drain it). But you risk a slight chance of fumes passing through, or something catching fire.
Thanks for that, I hadn't thought of that. With the water drained and the vessel vented there can't be any risk of explosion. Do you think Co could find a way into the room?

The fire and back boiler are a combined unit, when they were first fitted, there weren't really any manufacturers instructions to follow but one of the main things was, don't run the fire until you have water in the boiler.
With no water in the boiler you will quickly burn through the heat exchanger, this will allow POC to enter the hex pass up the cut pipes and find there way into whichever room you cut the pipes in.
If you empty the hex and seal the pipes any water left in will turn to steam and cause a massive rupturing of the hex.
So, really no is the answer, take fire out and put in an electric fire.

Thank you Stani and Best. You are both spot on. Your responses prompted me to do a little more digging. I found that the HSE had. issued an alert in 2008. The alert talks about the issues you both identified; in short as you both advised the unit has to come out. Thanks again for your help and guidance.

BTP
Thanks for the reply and update, much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old (solid fuel) back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock