Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Open Flue not supported in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

hi guys I capped if a gas meter today. Ideal Mexico boiler. Flue not clipped used metal banding and duct tape around all the flue joints. I also noticed condensation staining on the flue joints,sight glass cracked, gas pipe work too close to wall not sleeved or correct clips used there was a nail bend over touching gas pipe acting as a support.
    I'm I right in doing what I've done.

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

That's how they did it duct tape and Banding

But as you say there's staining / joints looking roapy ar

Gas pipe sleeve and too close to the wall is ncs
    Unless showing sign of destress

Sight glass is ar

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

Well I've capped it I didn't want too take the risk. With 2 items at risk do they not then became id? It is a landlords saftey check. Better being save than sorry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

No co 2 alarm

5. ShaunCorbs

I would of capped on just the flue if it's looking that ropey

• Like Like x 1
  6. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Definitely agree about the banding. Depends how it was done though, as there was a right way (from one beam tight around the flue to another beam) and a wrong way (from one beam around the flue and back to the same beam)

7. Matchless.plumb

Matchless.plumb Trusted Plumber GSR

Ncs doesn’t exist no more according to my academy.

8. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

Out of curiosity, why didn't you smoke test the flue and if it passed, then fit the missing brackets?

I am asking because I see a lot of boilers at the moment which have been condemned unnecessarily and It can be very unfair on the customer. I have not seen this one obviously and it may well be that you did the right thing. Just wondered why you didn't repair it?

• Like Like x 1
  9. ShaunCorbs

Still exist just no need to do anything about it

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. ShaunCorbs

I'm guessing as he saw the boiler missing the glass he thought no need as the boilers going off either way

11. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

I'm new to this so forgive me.. the banding was the wrong way plus with the metal touching metal will corrode the open flue. There was at the joints of flue staining from condensation. Open flue. In fact this was the first open flue boiler I've done a landlord saftey check. i never got round in doing a smoke test. I don't have anyone's in the company to ask for advice they just say do what you think as I'm the only one who is gas safe registered.

12. sammathias

sammathias GSR

Well if it is possible to get new sight glass,probably doubtful then I would have still flue flow tested and ammended supports...even at a later date. But you are right in condemning it for the time being.

13. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I always do a full LGSC or service before I leave. The last thing I want is to go back and find it is still AR or worse ID.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Plumber GSR

A cracked sight glass on an open flue Boiler is no big issue. If it was missing or had a hole in it I would agree it needed replacing but they are readily available and easy to swap anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  15. Inverness

Inverness Plumber GSR

Thank you all for you advice thanks