Search the forum,

Discuss OTT quote in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TimmyP73

I've been quoted £300 for a gas engineer to replace an old single panel rad with a double banked rad. The dimensions of the old rad are: 600m high x 1280mm wide. So we're looking at installing a double banked rad 600x1200mm plus pipwork. Seems a tad steep. Any thoughts?

Too little information,
what is he doing pipework wise?
Is he having to channel out floor?
What type of heating system is it?
Is it well designed or potential for airlocks etc when he refills?
One or two pipe system?
Is he supplying radiator?
I don't think it's an unreasonable quote but do your homework and get some more quotes. Ps not all plumbers are trying to rip you off we have a right to make a living too

Too little information,
One or two pipe system?
I don't think it's an unreasonable quote but do your homework and get some more quotes. Ps not all plumbers are trying to rip you off we have a right to make a living too

Too little information,
One or two pipe system?

Yes, he's supplier the rad
The old rad he'll be taking off is bigger than the new one so some pipework will have to be done
No, channeling out floor
One pipe system
condensing boiler - two water tanks in loft

Whilst we won't give prices on here I think that's perfectly reasonable if not a little cheap particularly with the issues a one pipe system can throw up. I hope he's realised it is one.

Depends on how the pipes are to be altered and what methods and materials are used. Some plumbers use push fit fittings (not my choice) and also some radiators are more expensive than other brands. It is possible to spend £200 on those materials
It could be a 2 hour job, or a full day. Most likely at least half a day.

Far too expensive. I'd be happy with a cup of tea, a digestive and your best wishes.

If not happy get more estimates. Don't even say what part of the country.

You don't need to get a gas engineer to replace the radiator.
Get another estimate of someone else, but they need to be a plumber experienced in heating.

Last edited:
If you have an immaculate white lounge carpet , offer to roll it up !
(like others have said , get more quotes unless in an expensive area )

Why would you have any idea about how much it should cost anyway unless of course you are in the trade?

If you knock off the cost of the rad plus v.a.t your down to two hundred factor in the guys labour his insurance and profit plus any tax he has to pay on his profit the price seems reasonable to me.....if your still not sure go with a recommendation from a friend or family member but I still think you won't save much ....regards Turnpin

Got to also add other possible materials, - like Inhibitor, fittings, maybe rad valves, etc.
I know I did similar sized radiator replacement just over a week ago and basic materials alone were near exactly £150 trade!

Last edited:
Seems fine to me I'd have been a bit more personally but like others have said its hard to say without knowing the system/job

Everyone know the price of everything and the value of nothing these days.
The OP has no doubt looked up screwstation and found a 6x 12K2 for 80 quid.
He's no doubt forgot the new valves and the few fittings and bit of pipe it will need, not forgetting a bottle of inhibitor or will we just forget that. Even the screws and rawlplugs need costing or god forbid plasterboard fixings at 5 bob a time. All the other unseen things ev en the 30p roll of thread tape.

If you think its expensive get another price or 2 or 3. Nobody gives a fk

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could supply the rad, turn the valves off & have a go yourself.......save a bomb....

I wonder if my accountant will do me a favour this year and charge me just for the ink in his printer, or if my Public Liability insurance will be reduced by 50% because i haven't claimed.

Last edited:
I wonder if my accountant will do me a favour this year and charge me just for the ink in his printer, or if my Public Liability insurance will be reduced by 50% because i haven't claimed.

You must be from the same Planet as me !!

Probably.

It's called the real World.

I also thought when I last went for diesel they might do it a quid a litre less than I expected cos I know what they pay per barrel and it seemed like they made too much money.

I was reading through this thread again earlier and SimonG's comment about the tea and biscuits, seemed very reasonable indeed. After some of his other more sarcastic comments on other threads, he appears to have mellowed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to OTT quote in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
Hullo everyone its a while since I posted on here basically because i have had no plumbing issues however I have one now. My son recently moved into a house which has cellar within which is a radiator which is part of the central heating system. The rad looks old, rusty and horrible as does the...
Replies
Views
Having now finished all the wiring, plastering, laying the floor and spending 6 solid weeks and many thousands of £££’s completely gutting and re-fitting the kitchen , I find I’m unable to get a like for like (in dimensions) replacement radiator. Initially we wanted a black double panel rad. No...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone 👋 I am getting a secondary rad put in under our windows. The first one is a double panel with fins. This is to try and boost a little as room gets slightly chilly in winter. I've looked at the calcs online, and I think a single panel with fins, type 11, should do the trick. I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We've sourced 2 new rads that we’re looking to get installed in place of our 2 existing ones and have been quoted £350 for a direct swap (including balancing and fitting TRVs that we are supplying) or £700 if we’d like the addition of the pipes being chased into the wall. I wanted to get...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock